www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThe story behind Blues Run The Game?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Lina K
Feb-05-2013, 18:02 GMT
Sweden

http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Blues-Run-Th
e-Game-286536.html

Can anyone fill me in on the details here? Would love to know more about this wonderful gem of a song.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7441 ]

Bill
Feb-07-2013, 10:07 GMT
United Kingdom

Hi Lina - to cut a long story short: Jackson C Frank was a gifted but troubled singer songwriter, who as a boy had narrowly escaped a fire at his school which killed many of his fellow pupils. He sustained severe burns and for the trauma was awarded a colossal payout worth millions in today's money - upon collecting this vast sum of money aged 21, he embarked on a massive spending spree - cars, wine, women etc etc. Of course, the money ran out ..... He set sail for England "Catch a boat to England baby ...." during which, I believe, he wrote Blues Run The Game, which he then proceeded to dazzle folk audiences with in London and beyond. He was admired among his contemporaries, not least a certain Paul Simon, who promptly offered to produce his (as it turned out..) one and only solo album, "Blues Run The Game". Garfunkel made tea for them all while the recordings took place!! The album made little impression beyond the immediate folk community but Simon & Garfunkel did record the song themselves (which is featured on the triple CD "Old Friends"). Hope that answers your question! Kind regards. Bill

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7395 ]

Lina K
Feb-07-2013, 12:11 GMT
Sweden

Thanks Bill!
I've listened to the songs many times. He's so talented. Like Rodriguez, I bet he would have made it big if he'd had the chance. Has Paul been known to mention this guy in recent years or way back in the 80s, when JC Frank came to look for him in New York?

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 7394 ]

Brenda
Feb-07-2013, 13:32 GMT
Australia

Lina.I definitely remember reading way back that Paul did meet him in New York and offered him a job as a roadie on a tour. Cannot remember the outcome but believe he did not turn up . Anyone else remember reading this?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7392 ]

Bill
Feb-07-2013, 13:59 GMT
United Kingdom

I think the story goes that Jackson headed to New York to track Paul down (some time in thge 80s/90s?) but ended up living rough on the streets and ultimately being admitted to a sanitorium. I'm pretty sure I heard that Paul made some kind of financial provision around that time regarding the song Blues Run The Game as a goodwill gesture - but I'm fairly certain they never spoke. Bill x

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7392 ]

Lina K
Feb-07-2013, 14:29 GMT
Sweden

What a sad ending to a sad life. Appartenly a certain Mr Abbott made friends and helped him get back on track a bit near the end before he got shot in the eye. Anyway, point is - so many talented people out here, especially today - who never get recognized. Also true in the world of any artist - musician, actor or likewise. Respect to you all out there.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7388 ]

Anthony
Feb-09-2013, 23:27 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I didn't know any of this. I thought Paul wrote all the
early songs like the Sun is Setting in the West, not sure of
the title.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7337 ]

Brenda
Feb-10-2013, 11:07 GMT
Australia

Anthony,the title is "The Sun is Burning " and was written by Scottish songwriter Ian Campbell. The Ian Campbell Folk group were the leading band on the UK folk scene in the 1960's. They had a great folk club,Jug of Punch in Birmingham UK in the late 60's which I used to attend regularly. Paul Simon did a gig there once,around 1964 or 1965.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 7317 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread