Bottom

HeadlineHow many records did Paul sell?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Jan-29-2013, 12:46 GMT
Austria

What do you guess?

I just came over that list, and wasn´t surprised that Paul Simon isn´t on that list (simply because he never comes up with strange numbers..like those ´claimed sales´)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_
music_artists

Also Paul has a S&G and solo career..so that would split him in 2 parts (but why, he is the writer and gets most out of the money)

Anyway, a short search - Bridge over troubled water alone sold 22 million copies, and Graceland 14 million.
Taking those numbers we can expect that the other S&G albums also sold very well (let´s say 3-6 million copies), his solo albums until ROTS sold 2-3 million copies at least. He must be somewhere between 50-60 million certified copies. I guess even a few more, nobody knows about all those compilations and greatest hits albums.
I would give him a claimed number of 150 million... :-)

Does someone have good sources for numbers and is willing to update the list on wikipeda? I mean, S&G should be there at least, and I am sure Paul sold at least as much as Aretha Franklin ;-)

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6381 ]

Bodo
Jan-29-2013, 13:02 GMT
Austria

the single Bridge over troubled water alone sold another 6 mio copies.

Someone should take the time and update the wikipedia list :-)

S&G sold 38.5 million in the USA alone. Make that worldwide and I am sure the number is around 70 Mio records or even higher.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6380 ]

Klausi
Jan-29-2013, 15:29 GMT
Germany

According to RIAA S&G sold 38,5 Million and Paul Simon 13,5 Million albums in the USA. You have to consider that this comes from the certifications. A Gold album is counted with 500.000. If it sold 900.000, 400.000 are not included.

Still crazy is not certified Platinum by Columbia because of the law suit and leaving the company. Garfunkel`s Breakaway is, so this is a joke. Take 2 Millions for Still crazy. Paul had three Million selling singles (Loves me, 50 ways, Slip slidin), S&G four (SOS, Mrs. Robinson, Bridge, Cecilia). Mrs Robinson and Bridge certainly sold several Millions in the US.

With worlwide sales it is difficult. Graceland is 14 Millions, 5 in the US. I guess S&G are near 100 Million albums and Paul more than 35 Millions.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6377 ]

Grégoire
Jan-29-2013, 19:03 GMT
France

According to wikipedia, S&G Greatest Hits sold something like 20 millions.

Bridge Over Troubled Water sold 8 millions in the USA

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6363 ]

Anthony
Jan-30-2013, 00:02 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Does anyone know how many copies the Composer sold or
So Beautiful?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6344 ]

Bodo
Jan-30-2013, 11:55 GMT
Austria

I think/remember You're the one received Gold again, the later albums not. None of the latest albums sold more than 1 million, maybe half a million worldwide.
So beautiful sold 68.000 records in the first week.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6334 ]

Bodo
Jan-30-2013, 11:58 GMT
Austria

if S&G greatest hits also sold 20 million then together with Graceland Paul had 3 multi-million selling albums (15- 25 millions). Thats more than many famous artists have.

I wonder why Queen ranks so high, because in all lists they only have 1 top selling album (greatest hits 1) with around 25 million sold records. So how can they reach 300 million in total...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6334 ]

Klausi
Jan-31-2013, 12:16 GMT
Germany

Hi Bodo,

Udo Juergens or Peter Alexander or ABBA sometimes are also mentinoned with such high figures as "Ton-Traeger".

You shouldn`t take those informations SOO SERIOUSLY! If you want to, ok, but I think, you don`t want to be Mr. Exaggeration.

Truth or lie, you can`t outrun the history truth.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6285 ]

Michiel
Feb-07-2013, 07:13 GMT
Netherlands

3-6 million copies for S&G albums not being BOTW is far far far too low. And don't forget Cp81 which sold extremely well

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6228 ]

Klausi
Feb-07-2013, 10:46 GMT
Germany

RIAA certified 14 Million copies of S&G`s Greatest Hits and 8 of Bridge as US-sales. For about 2 years Bridge was the best selling album of all time. In the US Carole King`s Tapestry topped it. But I´m sure, the reason is the release of Greatest Hits in 1972. Most buyers from then up to today prefered it, and I think this is justified.

What is striking and possibly a real top-position is the small number of songs. Not counting The Capeman and songs before 1964, we have about 150 Simon-songs recorded by him in 50 years.

So maybe up to 1 Million albums per song...

But one thing helped him too: The CD was not important until 1985/6. A lot of people bought the CD of albums which they already had.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 6221 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread