Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineUnusual moment

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Lina K
Oct-12-2012, 21:09 GMT
Sweden

I work in quite a rough area of Malmo, Sweden as a music teacher. We´ve done projects on Paul Simon´s work because they know nothing about other artists than Snoop Dogg and Chris Brown. I wanted to show them where my love of music came from. I let them listen to songs - i mean really listen. In headphones. What instruments can you hear? What feelings arise in you when you hear this music? Does it sound like it comes from a particular country? What in the music makes you feel that way? What do you think about this song, musically? Do you think the words fit with the music?

Anyway, one of the kids there really liked Paul Simon after the project. He came in to the music room and wanted to sing You can Call me Al with me. I laughed because it´s.. well, I was very surprised. SURE, I said, ..great!! We sang it. I put it up on Facebook and a guy who is the musical director for the project STAR for LIFE saw it and said "Let him perform it in the show in Malmö". I took 50 of my kids to the show. 1000 students in the chorus behind Star Choir from South Africa.
The guys there let my student Mohammed do You can Call me Al with them in front of all 1000. He´d never performed before, ever.
Consider the fact that all the other kids listen to Snoop Dogg etc. He doesn´t care, he does HIS thing anyway, and I´m very proud and happy of the ways of the world sometimes!

I hope you enjoy this great moment, not because of the quality of the singing, but because of what it is - a great moment that changed someone´s life for a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpu0gTZPck

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 375 ]

Mimi
Oct-12-2012, 21:21 GMT
Austria

This is a nice story. Hopefully he will be proud of this moment for the rest of his life.

Lara
Oct-12-2012, 21:49 GMT
Italy

What a great moment, he is sooo brave!:)

Brenda
Oct-12-2012, 22:10 GMT
Australia

Great performance Lina. Thank you for sharing the story.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread