Bottom

HeadlinePaul Simon Live In New York

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Nick
Oct-09-2012, 12:00 GMT
United Kingdom

Nick from Widnes England writes

Have just bought the new album/DVD Live in New York City. If you watch the DVD opening and pause them you can see a picture of the full set list of the concert.

Although a great show its a shame the entire concert was not issued on DVD and CD.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 321 ]

linclink
Oct-09-2012, 15:05 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I couldn't agree with you more...both about it being great, & about it being a shame that he chose to cut SO much of the show...
Here's the full set list & what was cut...via a post of mine from another thread on this album on this forum...
It's certainly Paul's artistic right to do whatever he wants...I just hope he wasn't led in this (mis)direction by the record company...I was at the show & honestly can't figure out why the songs that were left off, were left off (except for the songs that featured David Byrne)
"So GREAT to have any documentation of this tour & band, but... WHY OH WHY WITH ALL THE SPACE ON CD'S (& DVD's) DID HE CUT SO MANY GREAT SONGS!?!?! I was there at this show & understand David Byrne screwed up "You Can Call Me Al", & I get not including "Road To Nowhere", but...it's especially criminal to have cut both "Questions For The Angels" & "Peace Like A River"!!!- two brilliant performances of two great deep album tracks that haven't been beaten to death live!!!! And his cover of "Here Comes The Sun" was just completely sublime!! Not to mention both "Mystery Train" & "Wheels", as well as "Vietnam", were all great too & really good fun & unique parts to making this tour something more than just all the big songs everyone expects...a missed opportunity of truly major proportions!!!! I don't understand it at all!!! And I wonder if the order listed is wrong...everything else in the right order, but they've switched out "The Boy In The Bubble" & "The Obvious Child"...
Full Webster Hall Set List:
**= Song that was cut...
The Boy in the Bubble
Dazzling Blue
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover
So Beautiful or So What
**Vietnam**
Mother And Child Reunion
That Was Your Mother
Hearts And Bones
**Mystery Train**
**Wheels**
Slip Slidin' Away
Rewrite
**Peace Like a River**
The Obvious Child
The Only Living Boy In New York
The Afterlife
**Questions for the Angels**
Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes
Gumboots
Encore:
The Sound of Silence
Kodachrome
Gone At Last
**Here Comes the Sun**
Late In The Evening
Encore 2:
**Road to Nowhere (with David Byrne**
**You Can Call Me Al(with David Byrne)**
Still Crazy After All These Years
Crazy Love, Vol. II"

Nath
Oct-10-2012, 16:37 GMT
France

Got mine today and I'm watching it now. Wonderful and so many good memories !!!

DannyJ  
Oct-13-2012, 16:39 GMT
United Kingdom

We watched the blu-Ray last night - It is a awesome show, and great to haveit officially, rather than a torrented version of the TV broadcast. I do have a couple of gripes however:

1) Stereo? On Blu-Ray? Even VHS was capable of Dolby Surround, and in an age of Hi-Def and all that, this is really poor. The sound IS great through my Onkyo amp, but this is still a let down.

2) Related to the setlist, the cut off at the end of Hearts and Bones is very harsh!!! It made me exclaim out loud... It was like they had tried to make it unnoticable, but failed miserably! They should have just faded it out... I would have been far happier with that...

Hey ho, grumbles over!

Brenda
Oct-14-2012, 10:47 GMT
Australia

Totally agree Danny about the ending of "Hearts and Bones'. So noticable! Jim Oblon standing up and taking a bow! Should have been edited out. Better still his guitar solo should not have been cut! Apart from that and the missing songs,Great video!

klausi
Oct-15-2012, 08:54 GMT
Germany

The DVD is at No. 28 in the UK-Video-Music charts in it`s first week.

When searching the CD I found out that the times they are a`changing. Bob Dylan`s new is out of the Top 100 albums, Mark Knopfler`s new one dropped to No 96.

But Bob Marley`s Greatest Hits ("Legend") is in at about No. 95 for 779 weeks now. (14,981 years...)

Rosie
Oct-16-2012, 17:47 GMT
Ireland

I heard the covers were taken out due to 100% legal reasons. Which is a shame!

On a different note - is it just me, or is the green writing on the forum, a bit hard on the eyes?

Bodo
Oct-16-2012, 19:25 GMT
Austria

ups, that should not be green ! will change it in a minute

klausi
Oct-17-2012, 08:05 GMT
Germany

For the covers it is ok.

But Peace, Questions, Al?

The DVD runs less than 95 minutes in a real hurry without presenting the musicians (besides the H&B-ending).

Isabelle
Oct-17-2012, 09:12 GMT
France

I got mine too .. it's great to have a club version of the concert :)

Bodo
Oct-22-2012, 11:23 GMT
Austria

Yes, H&B end is horrible.
As it is only stereo we could produce a fade out version taking the sound of the other DVD...

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread