Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineNew live album on CD/DVD/BD on 9/18/12

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Brenda
Aug-14-2012, 10:23 GMT
Australia

The Boxer is not on the DVD Paul did not sing it at Webster Hall. I am just grateful we are getting two CD'S And a DVD at such a great price, The missing songs are mostly on the net from the Webster Hall DVD.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 270 ]

Bodo
Aug-14-2012, 10:35 GMT
Austria

Yes you are right Brenda, it is great to get a very good video - also on Blu Ray.
If you have the Webster Hall DVD you can make a nearly complete concert.

We know(I expected) that they delete some songs, that always happens. For me it was a little bit disturbing that they deleted songs from this DVD which they had already on the last years DVD of the same concert (that is somehow inconsequent) - if you already have the Webster Hall DVD then this whole thing is a joke, you have to buy this show again to get a few other songs more, and miss out some others again.

Manus
Aug-14-2012, 12:42 GMT
Netherlands

Well, no Boxer, but still quite a few other overplayed songs are on the discs, which would be fine if the whole thing was on it. Combining two shows to have an idea of a full show (it's not the same thing) is not something that I'm grateful of. It's better than nothing, but that's not a very positive verdict.

If they HAD to leave out songs, than the choices they made are terrible: Leaving out Peace like a river and some new SBOSW tracks is almost criminal. I'll be grateful if a normal full show is released, just the way it usually goes.

Brenda
Aug-14-2012, 21:31 GMT
Australia

I am really hoping for a dvd from Jazz at Lincoln Center to be released soon That would be awesome! The Clapton one with Wynton was released about 9 months after the shows.

Bjoern
Aug-16-2012, 13:00 GMT
Germany

Does anybody know, if the DVD will be available in Europe (Germany). I only found DVD on amazon.com only playable with U.S. and Cananda Code.

Matthew
Aug-16-2012, 18:26 GMT
United Kingdom

I'd be surprised if most DVD players don't play all regions now? Computers, laptops, etc. have always been region-free.

Bodo
Aug-16-2012, 19:49 GMT
Austria

Hm, as far as I know my DVD player from 2006 is not region free (Hewlett Packard)
My computer DVD is also not region free, the first time you start a movie DVD a pop up comes which asks you "which region do you live in" - you select EUROPE and it tells you that you are allowed to change that setting now for 5 times.

But many DVD's (especially music?) produced today have region 0, which is free.

On my standalon player I can type in a number code and it is set free till I turn it off.
And you can use some strange softwares like 'Any DVD' to make your computers DVD region free.

It would be more than crazy if they produce a US only version.

The 2011 Webster Hall DVD is Region 0.

This region thing was the most stupid idea ever born. I wonder who had this one, he should sit in a hole somewhere in a strange country. It brought up 100 problems for customers and zero more income for the DVD industry.

Matthew
Aug-16-2012, 23:52 GMT
United Kingdom

The region thing was designed to allow distributors to release films at staggered intervals and charge different prices in different markets.

In reality, I doubt its been very successful. In the UK at least (I cannot speak for other markets), multi-region DVD players are widely available and it used to be common practice for the shop to give you a code when you purchased a DVD player to remove the region-locking.

There are unlock codes for over 6000 DVD players here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/

Bodo
Aug-17-2012, 07:45 GMT
Austria

Yes I know about the unlock codes. usually all Asian brands are easy to unlock, US and european brands aren't. But I did not buy a standalone player in the last 6 or 7 years...think that format will die too. I prefer standalone media players now.

DannyJ  
Aug-17-2012, 10:54 GMT
United Kingdom

I use this software:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

It does exactly what it says on the tin. It allows your region locked DVD-ROM drive to play any region DVD, and then allows you to rip any DVD to your hard disc whilst disabling macrovision and region coding.

Simply backup this DVD to a blank disc for a region free disc playable on any DVD player anywhere in the world, keeping your original nice and safe and scratch fee.

This is legal (as far as I am aware), providing you own the original silver disc, as it is classed as a backup. There are various other software that will do this, but I believe this to be the best!

Bodo
Aug-17-2012, 20:51 GMT
Austria

It is the best software so far, but it is not legal (not in Germany and Austria, although Austria is the strangest country by far, read more...)
I am pretty sure the law in Germany says, that it is illegal to remove the copyright protection also for private use. Making a copy is legal, removing the protection not. It is like buying a car, you own it, but you are never allowed to open the trunk for example.

Austria is by far more strange: Since about 1 year we pay a fee called 'Festplattenabgabe' which means translated something like 'hard disk artist fee'. This fee should go to artists directly. It was invented somewhen in the 1980's for tapes, when it was very common to copy your tape and give it to a friend. Or you copy the whole radio charts for yourself. So for buying the blank tape you had to pay a fee and you were allowed to copy music for you and also giving it to your friends. Wonderful life, anyway it was tricky to push the stop-pause-record buttons on those tape recorders...
They adapted this fee for CD's...it somehow was okay.
They adapted this fee for computer hard disks now. This is more than crazy, because a computer hard disk in a company does not hold music files. Also most hard disks only hold a few percent of music files, but you pay the fee per megabyte. Anyway it is even more stupid, because the law still says you are not allowed to remove the copy protection - so you pay a fee for something which allows you to copy music but it is against the law to copy music.

Greetings from Melmac.

Phil
Aug-19-2012, 13:33 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Not sure if I missed this: I wonder if the song mix has something to do with the 'exclusive rights' given to PBS. Wasn't there a 2-year deal? I wonder if altering/juggling the content allows for release - and PBS can still use to promote "otherwise unavailable" content during fund drives??

Bodo
Aug-19-2012, 18:55 GMT
Austria

Not sure, but the old PBS DVD is hard to find now anyway.

Brenda
Aug-19-2012, 23:22 GMT
Australia

I tend to agree with Phil. PBS still have the Webster Hall DVD on their website for $150 ,including cd of SBOSW. So I guess the new DVD would have to be a little different. And I do remember when this was released it was stated that another dvd of the show would not be available for two years.

http://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/ec/catalog.asp
?c=jnKJKSOwHoE&b=6176641&en=6pKBJLPnE5LKLV
NqH4LGKXMHJiIJJQOpF7IFJWMIItG&CategoryID=87452

linclink
Aug-20-2012, 03:40 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping that at some point PBS, or someone, somewhere, somehow releases the full & complete version of this show (OK minus the David Byrne portion of the show)...

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread