Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineNew live album on CD/DVD/BD on 9/18/12

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Awesoman
Aug-11-2012, 06:11 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Haven´t seen any posts about this but there is a new live Paul Simon album, LIVE IN NYC that is coming out on Sept. 18. Already pre-ordered mine!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 584 ]

Awesoman
Aug-11-2012, 06:12 GMT

Oh, forgot to mention the link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-York-City-Paul-Simon/dp
/B008UTV6S8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid
=1344661781&sr=1-2&keywords=paul+simon

Ans
Aug-11-2012, 08:38 GMT
Netherlands

This is great! So the Webster Hall is released much earlier. But not the whole performance, David Byrne is not on there and also; Here Comes The Sun, Questions For The Angels, Vietnam, Peace Like A River, Mystery Train.

Bodo
Aug-11-2012, 09:18 GMT
Austria

This will be released on Blu-Ray to!
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Paul-Simon-Live-In-N
ew-York-City-Blu-ray/52663/

Sorry to say that - this is typical nerving f*%& 21 century marketing now.
You have to buy 2 sets if you want more songs. This happens again and again now, is this Pauls idea (I hope not)?

To get Peace Like a River, Mystery Train&Wheels you need to buy the Webster Hall DVD, eh a joke isn' it.
To get some more but other songs you need to buy this set.

And still the really cool things are missing as Ans mentioned.

so, will they release a "The complete Webster Hall set" video in 2015? I take your bet's now.

DannyJ  
Aug-12-2012, 19:03 GMT
United Kingdom

I'll buy the CD and Blu-ray. I'm a collector, so will probably pick up the DVD in a few years when it's floating about ebay for 99p :-)

I never spend over the odds, and add to my collection in due course, mostly at bargain prices!

linclink
Aug-12-2012, 19:12 GMT

@Bodo- I couldn't find anything on amazon.com about a tracklisting for the stand alone DVD...not saying you're wrong, but how do you know that those songs cut from the CD/DVD set are on the stand alone DVD? Just curious...& if you're right, honestly also confused...next we'll find out the blu-ray has "Questions For The Angels", "Here Comes The Sun" & "Vietnam" on it- just joking...

linclink
Aug-12-2012, 19:12 GMT

So GREAT to have any documentation of this tour & band, but... WHY OH WHY WITH ALL THE SPACE ON CD'S (& DVD's) DID HE CUT SO MANY GREAT SONGS!?!?! I was there at this show & understand David Byrne screwed up "You Can Call Me Al", & I get not including "Road To Nowhere", but...it's especially criminal to have cut both "Questions For The Angels" & "Peace Like A River"!!!- two brilliant performances of two great deep album tracks that haven't been beaten to death live!!!! And his cover of "Here Comes The Sun" was just completely sublime!! Not to mention both "Mystery Train" & "Wheels", as well as "Vietnam", were all great too & really good fun & unique parts to making this tour something more than just all the big songs everyone expects...a missed opportunity of truly major proportions!!!! I don't understand it at all!!! And I wonder if the order listed is wrong...everything else in the right order, but they've switched out "The Boy In The Bubble" & "The Obvious Child"...
Full Webster Hall Set List:
**= Song that was cut...
The Boy in the Bubble
Dazzling Blue
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
So Beautiful or So What
**Vietnam**
Mother and Child Reunion
That Was Your Mother
Hearts and Bones
**Mystery Train**
**Wheels**
Slip Slidin' Away
Rewrite
**Peace Like a River**
The Obvious Child
The Only Living Boy in New York
The Afterlife
**Questions for the Angels**
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
Gumboots
Encore:
The Sound of Silence
Kodachrome
Gone At Last
Here Comes the Sun
Late in the Evening
Encore 2:
Road to Nowhere (with David Byrne)
You Can Call Me Al(with David Byrne)
Still Crazy After All These Years
Crazy Love, Vol. II

linclink
Aug-12-2012, 19:13 GMT

CORRECTED VERSION:
So GREAT to have any documentation of this tour & band, but... WHY OH WHY WITH ALL THE SPACE ON CD'S (& DVD's) DID HE CUT SO MANY GREAT SONGS!?!?! I was there at this show & understand David Byrne screwed up "You Can Call Me Al", & I get not including "Road To Nowhere", but...it's especially criminal to have cut both "Questions For The Angels" & "Peace Like A River"!!!- two brilliant performances of two great deep album tracks that haven't been beaten to death live!!!! And his cover of "Here Comes The Sun" was just completely sublime!! Not to mention both "Mystery Train" & "Wheels", as well as "Vietnam", were all great too & really good fun & unique parts to making this tour something more than just all the big songs everyone expects...a missed opportunity of truly major proportions!!!! I don't understand it at all!!! And I wonder if the order listed is wrong...everything else in the right order, but they've switched out "The Boy In The Bubble" & "The Obvious Child"...
Full Webster Hall Set List:
**= Song that was cut...
The Boy in the Bubble
Dazzling Blue
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
So Beautiful or So What
**Vietnam**
Mother and Child Reunion
That Was Your Mother
Hearts and Bones
**Mystery Train**
**Wheels**
Slip Slidin' Away
Rewrite
**Peace Like a River**
The Obvious Child
The Only Living Boy in New York
The Afterlife
**Questions for the Angels**
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
Gumboots
Encore:
The Sound of Silence
Kodachrome
Gone At Last
**Here Comes the Sun**
Late in the Evening
Encore 2:
**Road to Nowhere (with David Byrne**
**You Can Call Me Al(with David Byrne)**
Still Crazy After All These Years
Crazy Love, Vol. II

linclink
Aug-12-2012, 19:14 GMT

And here are those songs that got cut, with performances from the iTunes Festival in London (not the Webster Hall show) on that same tour...listened to them this morning & it was bittersweet- digging the performances & remembering the shows, but even sadder that they are getting left off the album for no good reason. The first three here are really epic in their being left off, & the other ones are great & sorely missed as well...
1) "Questions For The Angels":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMioT5MUqY
2) "Peace Like A River":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLUjzHSed4
3) "Here Comes The Sun":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQd1oFXq6qE
4) "Vietnam/Mother & Child Reunion"(*- note only "Vietnam" is cut, "Mother & Child Reunion" is on the album):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFjGSdV4sE
5 & 6) "Heart & Bones"/"Mystery Train"/"Wheels":(*note only "Mystery Train" & "Wheels" have been cut, "Hearts & Bones" is on the album):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUlRZQeXfE

Mike  
Aug-12-2012, 19:33 GMT

Looks like we'll just have to put our own complete live albums together by adding in the tracks that are missing. At least there's a large amount of soundboard quality recordings floating around from the tour.

Awesoman
Aug-13-2012, 03:28 GMT

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't think there is any reason to believe that any of the songs will be cut. The PBS special was probably edited for time. The CD is 2-discs; so there is a good chance the whole thing will make it to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.

Klausi
Aug-13-2012, 07:10 GMT
Germany

Two CD`s would be fine. Maximum for one is 80 minutes. This capacity was decided amongst others by Leonard Bernstein, who wanted Beethoven`s Symphony Nr. 9 on one CD. LP`s with more than 60 minutes were avoided because of quality.

Record industry and the stars always tried to make albums more attractive. You had to buy a Garfunkel LP to get "Wonderful World" or a Randy Newman album to get "The Blues". Of course I mean the song...

Bodo
Aug-13-2012, 08:31 GMT
Austria

@Awesomemen: There is a complete tracklist on amazon.com for CD's and DVD. It says which songs are not there.
I am pretty sure the did not produce a 2nd single DVD set with another tracklist.

I believe they have cut all tracks which are not licensed to Paul Simon, simply because sales numbers of DVD's and CD's are so low today, that it would cost too much to license 3th party songs.
No clue why they have cut Peace like a river, as it was already on the 'Webster Hall DVD'.

linclink
Aug-13-2012, 15:09 GMT

The odd thing is it's BOTH "Peace Like A River" AND "Questions For The Angels" that are Paul Simon authored songs that have been cut.
With 6 songs gone, out of 26 usable ones (not counting the Byrne botched "You Can Call Me Al" & "Road To Nowhere"- which would make 8 songs out of 28) we are losing pretty close to 1/4/25% of the show!!! That is REALLY substantial...a big part of the uniqueness of this concert & tour & it's a real loss & alters the experience considerably.

Manus
Aug-13-2012, 17:07 GMT
Netherlands

I am pretty certain the songs are also left out of the Blu-ray because in the link Bodo provided it shows that it's 95 minutes long.

I think it's a shame that they left out Peace like a River, being a signature song of that tour, and a rarity. Personally, after al these years, I couldn't care less for another Boxer. Paul Simon is more than just hit singles. I know quite a few 2dvd/3cd releases (Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Dream Theater etc. etc.), so this is really a dissapointment.

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread