Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineGRACELAND 2012 - REVIEWS and SETLISTS

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Scaaty
Jul-14-2012, 09:23 GMT
Ireland

I don't think everyone played together the Graceland band cleared the stage before SOS then Martin Hayes and the present band came out for the boxer they were introduced during late in the evening. Joseph did look a bit out of it but seemed to get around the stage better than previous evening

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 514 ]

Bodo
Jul-14-2012, 10:48 GMT
United Kingdom

Well, Graceland is the album which introduced me to Paul Simon and I never saw this band live, never saw LBM, so it is something special for me - I really hope Hugh Masekela will join Paul on Sunday too because I love his performances from the 1987 DVD.

Indeed, I would have given LBM and Thandiswa the space for more songs (at least 2 more), is there a time restriction on such shows (I do not think so as Bruce Springsteen always plays for 3 hours...). Maybe Paul never wants to go to bed after 11 o clock...

Isn't Afrcian Sunset a song by Miriam Makeba? I wonder why she isn't doin 1-2 of her own songs. Thats a miss!

For the rest of the songs - well that is what I expected, he always plays a variation of those hit's. Although I would have kicked some of the cover versions now, there is no need for Wheels, Mystery Train or Vietnam. He should replace them by 2 numbers from Surprise or SBOSF.

Brenda
Jul-14-2012, 12:48 GMT
Australia

Bodo,Hugh is joining the show Sunday and for the rest of the tour. I asked LBM and just got their reply.

Ans
Jul-14-2012, 18:13 GMT
Netherlands

Great, that means I will see him in Amsterdam :)

Hugh has a lot of travelling to do. He was at the rehearsal in Dublin, had a concert in Germany July 12, has one tonight in Ostrava Czech Republik and another one in London on July 21 at BT River of Music.

Bodo
Jul-16-2012, 09:49 GMT
United Kingdom

You will love Hugh Ans. He is able to capture and steal the show.

It's sad that Miriam Makeba is not alive anymore. But I saw her some years ago and can imagine what magic she would have had.

Scaaty
Jul-16-2012, 10:56 GMT
Ireland

I revisited Graceland the concert to listen to Miriam again and the chemistry between herself and Paul Simon was incredible - no wonder he was so moved talking about her on Thursday night.

Ans - have a great time in Amsterdam both at the concert and film - by the sounds of things it will be even better than last week.

Maybe I'm being greedy but hopefully the tour will be extended (Artie willing)and it will come back to Ireland - I want more!!

Bjoern
Jul-16-2012, 12:34 GMT
Germany

I'm so excited to see LBM and Hugh for the first time in my life!

Matthew
Jul-16-2012, 15:06 GMT
United Kingdom

It sounds stupid but, for a number of reasons, Bring Back Nelson Mandela was my favourite performance of the night last night.

It was just so right. As a kid I watched the VHS of the African Concert until the tape was worn out so to see Hugh Masekela singing that at an open air concert in my home country was fantastic. Especially now that the meaning of the song is so much more joyful than it was in 1987.

Ans
Jul-16-2012, 15:37 GMT
Netherlands

Thanks Scaaty. Getting excited again :)

I hope you are able to upload your SOS video with us, would love to see it. Do you want to upload it from your phone? I have no experience with uploading from a phone, maybe you have to change the format, don't know if that has anything to do with it. There are instructions for the filename when you want to upload at EF section.

Matthew
Jul-16-2012, 23:02 GMT
United Kingdom

After two sell-out dates in Dublin and filling Hyde Park (some reports say 50,000 others 60,000) there is obviously a lot of interest in this show. So it seems like a very short tour especially considering the time taken to put together such a massive show with two bands. There are no US dates and just a handful of concerts in Northern Europe.

Presumably this tour will be extended? I am hoping that after a US leg, the show will return for some arena dates in Europe. The So Beautiful Or So What Tour had nine dates in UK and Ireland. Surely Graceland 25th Anniversary deserves the same?

DannyJ  
Jul-17-2012, 19:24 GMT
United Kingdom

Review from the FT

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d913945e-cf36-11e1-a1ae-
00144feabdc0.html#axzz20uCYyigs

Mat
Jul-17-2012, 20:32 GMT
Austria

Great Irish Times Review from a great concert in Dublin:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0
714/1224320063425.html

Scaaty
Jul-18-2012, 09:35 GMT
Ireland

Interesting that the review was written by the IT Literary Correspondent/Editor.

Here is what the music Correspondent had to say in his short but sweet blog:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/0
7/16/10-things-we-learned-this-weekend-2/

Jokapaikanapina
Jul-18-2012, 10:19 GMT
Finland

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm going to the concert in Stockholm, Sweden on the 22nd. The tickets say that the show starts at 19.30. Does Paul have a opening act or will he start right away himself? I arrive in Stockholm at 18.15, so I'll take a taxi from the harbor if he does start right away, but I'll walk if he doesn't.

Bodo
Jul-18-2012, 21:06 GMT
Austria

What kind of odd comment on the ft.com article...

At our position the sound was loud enough ;-) I talked to Eliane before the concert and she said they do not want to come closer because it is too loud for their ears at the front.
And the next person now writes it was too quiet. HA

The solution would have been to come closer to the stage.

Paul Simons concerts are never as loud as others. I know that most people at U2 concerts wear earplugs - so whats that good for? Paul is a master of sound, he knows exactly what level sounds good and what level is just destroying everything into results in a big and loud boooooomm.

I understand the residents - there are too many shows in Hyde Park. I thought there is only 1 weekend, but Madonna was just the next act 2 days later, after a weekend of 3 concerts, and one week before the same. I would not want to live there.

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread