Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePaul Simon receive´s the Polar Music Prize

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Håkan
May-08-2012, 08:58 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Paul Simon is this years recipient of the Polar Musik Prize. The price was created by the manager of ABBA, Stikkan Anderson, in 1989.

The jury´s motivation is as follows: ´The Polar Music Prize 2012 is awarded to Paul Simon. Nobody else is more deserving of the epithet of ?world-class songwriter.? For five decades, Paul Simon has built bridges not only over troubled waters but over entire oceans by (re)joining the world?s continents with his music. With consummate skill, innovative arrangements and provocative lyrics that never fail to capture the currents of his age, Paul Simon has compiled a library of songs which will remain open to future generations.´

Amongst previous winners are Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, BB King, Björk, Ennio Morricone & Burt Bacharach. The price sum is one million Swedish kronor and it will be given at a ceremony in Stockholm the August 28. The Swedish king Carl XVI Gustaf will be the one who gives out the price.

http://www.gp.se/kulturnoje/1.937151-polarpriset-t
ill-simon-och-yo-yo-ma?adapt_wid=st_gp_wgt1&ad
apt_group=2&adapt_ma=238&adapt_mp=1

http://www.polarmusicprize.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Music_Prize

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 383 ]

brenda
May-08-2012, 14:50 GMT
Australia

Another great honour for Paul. Thanks for posting the articles Hakan. Just seen a video of the official announcement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp6K0gym9Lo

jocke
May-08-2012, 16:13 GMT
Sweden

this is great!

Carol
May-08-2012, 19:21 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Very nice!

mog
May-09-2012, 16:59 GMT
Canada

Kudos to Paul. This is amazing. Taken a look at former recipients, we can see it is a credible and very serious price.

I guess Paul has had almost everything one could possibly imagine : BMI awards, Grammys, R&R Hall of Fame twice, Gershwin Award, etc.

He did miss the Oscar, but he should have filed out the paper for Mrs. Robinson; there is no else to blame ;-)

However, it is good & fun to see that it Swedish gives him that when the guy is unable to get a nomination for his lats album in his own country (Grammy) ! Europe has always been more advanced than north americans in many sectors ;-)

Klausi
May-09-2012, 17:13 GMT
Germany

The Paul Simon-Collection...

Bodo  
May-10-2012, 11:22 GMT
Austria

// inappropriate message

mog
May-10-2012, 14:23 GMT
Canada

Why being so negative Bodo ?

Let´s congrat Paul and let him enjoy this price.

The fact that Peter Gabriel received this price in 2009 kind of give it lots of credibility to it. Gabriel has been an iconic and innovative musician for many years (music videos, 3D, CD-ROM, digital music), founded the Real World Records, which gave a immense platform for world music to spread and be shared; he has been involved with Amnisty International; co-founded the Elders project, etc. The dumb people at the Rock N´ Roll Hall of Fame did not seem to bother (in fact introducing Genesis only a few years ago...) and they are likely to introduce Nickelback before Gabriel (joke). All this to say that prices like Polar did recognize him and I am proud that Simon is added to this prestigious list.

Pelle
May-10-2012, 16:00 GMT
Sweden

Paul Simon has said he is coming to recive the price. It was on time he get it, he has been a favorite to get it in many years.

Bodo  
May-10-2012, 19:20 GMT
Austria

//inappropriate message

Pelle
May-13-2012, 05:59 GMT
Sweden

don´t worry Bodo i am sure money he get goes to his helth fond, i think is nice at Sweden my country has choose my favorite to get a price who is a price we often talk about and spekulate who should get it. It´s a good chance for his fans and coming to see him on tv and hear his music. I can´t understand your opion Bodo.

brenda
May-14-2012, 12:50 GMT
Australia

I am sure Paul was very happy to be honored by your country Pelle. And I agree with you that knowing Paul that is where the prize money will be going. Just read that he may be performing when he accepts the award!

Ans  
Aug-26-2012, 19:07 GMT
Netherlands

On twitter today;

Inauguration POLAR MUSIC ANTHOLOGY tomorrow 2.30 pm, livestreamed on http://polarmusicprize.org (where you also can have a sneak peek tonight!)

mog
Aug-26-2012, 20:06 GMT
Canada

Yeah...I just discovered it by accident. It is a interesting website that they are putting together. Still in development though. There are two interviews from Swedish Radio they put there (one on ROTS and another on Graceland). We can see already the songs that Simon will perform at the ceremony (SoS, YCCMA, etc.). There should be a talk with tomorrow if I understand well, and we will be able to watch the ceremony on the 28th.

So, maybe this Northern Europe strange tour was the opportunity for him to be close to Stockholm for the 28 th ?!

Brenda
Aug-26-2012, 21:54 GMT
Australia

Thanks . Interesting website. Great to be able to watch the ceremony. Paul is in Sweden now but went home after the tour. Saw a photo of him at a Yankee game a couple of days after the tour ended. Then he went to Montaulk. Guess he just likes touring Europe!

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread