Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineWho was at the NO Jazz?

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Apr-25-2010, 17:10 GMT
Austria

Seems as if it got no attention on this page...

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2010/04/sim
on_and_garfunkel.html

Arts voice may not have been the best during that show. Interesting are the the postings at the bottom, most S&G fans seem to ignore it or let´s say, their excitement is so big that reality becomes irrelevant.

Not surprises on the setist... singin Old and very old songs again and again must be exciting for our hero :-9

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 665 ]

Barb
Apr-26-2010, 01:38 GMT
USA - United Staates America

It is hard to explain, Bodo. S&G is to me harmony and quiet precise sound with words being important-and no one will say that Art´s "choir boy tenor" is still there-but to me there is still a magic with their two voices harmonizing that I do not hear with two other singers, even when I heard Paul and Harper.
And also, to me S&G represents joy of the past and to see them, it is good. Yes, I see wrinkles and sags but then I see a glimpse of their youth in their faces and voices and the years fall away for them and me. It makes me happy to see them enjoy the singing.

Mimi
Apr-26-2010, 07:35 GMT
Austria

I can relate to that, Barb when I hear samples of last years tour, but this time, Artie definetly was ill and it´s rather painful to listen to the clips on youtube. It must be a really hard decision what to do, when your voice is not o.k., but you have concerts ahead of you. Hopefully he will recover soon, because I doubt, that they will play the rest of the tour this way.

Nancy
Apr-26-2010, 09:34 GMT

They sounded wonderful together at the R and R Hall of Fame concert. He obviously has laryngitis. I hope they don´t have to cancel the Vancouver concert, but he shouldn´t be straining his voice if his throat iis going to heal.

Barb
Apr-26-2010, 13:09 GMT

I do worry-commercially 2011 would have been the time to tour to tie in with "Old Friends" 70 and park bench phrases. Is it possible medical reasons decided the duo to do big tour 2009 & 2010 instead?

Brenda
Apr-26-2010, 13:23 GMT
Australia

Yes Art has had laryngitis recently and had to postpone a few shows. This was not an option at the Jazzfest and to cancel would have disappointed the huge crowd that came to see them both. Paul was very supportive to him during the show and their close friendship was so evident during the closing moments of BOTW. I

Brenda
Apr-26-2010, 13:28 GMT
Australia

I am praying his voice will recover for the tour as it would be difficult to perform so many dates unwell. Their voices were perfect at the Hall of Fame so Good Luck Boys.

Brenda
Apr-26-2010, 13:47 GMT
Australia

sorry I forgot to add this.
For those of us who Love both S and G as well as Paul solo this review says it all for me.
http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/55862/simon-
garfunkel.html

Joey
Apr-26-2010, 19:21 GMT
Canada

Wouldn´t it be great if the show was 2/3 Simon and 2/3 S&G because of Artie´s voice?

Ans.
Apr-26-2010, 21:23 GMT
Netherlands

All the videos of S&G at the NO Jazz Fest are gone now. Probably too much negative comments about Art´s voice problems which is also not good for their upcoming tour.

It was good to see that Paul & Art enjoyed to be on stage together. It would be a good idea for the upcoming tour if the show is 2/3 Paul Simon and 1/3 S&G if Art´s voice stays this way.

Cher
Apr-26-2010, 23:00 GMT

I don´t know what you people over here
hate so much about Art, but I didn´t
see any negative comments and the crowd
was told about his voice problems, he
has had the flu for a long time and
canceled all over March as well. I have
tickets to two shows and if he can´t
sing, I sure would not be angry, it was wonderful to see Paul being so
supportive, I think these guys finally care about each other.
wo

Barb
Apr-26-2010, 23:37 GMT

a stupid question-
Big Business has pulled videos from you tube, I thought because they had a product that was being reproduced on youtube. But these videos were family videos and certainly no dvd or whatever has been published of the concert in New Orleans. So how the right to pull?

Brenda
Apr-27-2010, 01:32 GMT
Australia

Barb, Cliff Richard management pull any home made videos of his shows from u tube and threaten to prosecute . Yet they let stay on u tube any excerpt posted from the official dvd of the show . in which the sound quality is better. could be the case here as although Art told the crowd before he had voice problems and they loved him for turning up most people watching these videos would be unaware of this. in the future anyone browsing u tube that came across them would think he normally sounds like that. So in a way i understand but miss watching the support from Paul, especially in Bridge at the end . Those hugs A joy to watch.

As for those of you who appear to be happy that Art could be reduced to one third of the show words fail me but I will have a go anyway. This is a Simon and Garfunkel show ,which Paul seems more than happy to be a part of. Its what people have paid to see , both of them singing the beautiful songs Paul wrote with Artie´s voice in mind ( Paul´s own words) Just because they are Old does not make them any the less worthy. Paul usually encores his solo shows with some of them anyway.
To all of you on the forum who are going to one (or more ) if the shows have a wonderful nostalgic night. Only the fact I am on the other side of the world is stopping me.

nancy
Apr-27-2010, 03:25 GMT

You said it so well, Brenda - thanks!

mog
Apr-27-2010, 03:32 GMT
Unknown

Yawn...

There is no valid reason for this tour this year, except for piling up loads of money.

Aside the laryngit, let´s face it: the trend over the past years, despite a few highs, has been that Art´s voice is no longer at its best.

They should stop doing these tours, not to become caricatures of themselves. They should make any further reunions very special events, for us to enjoy and savore. Not a ´oh, not again !!´.

I know a few people who are going to the show in my city, and let me tell you one thing: they paid big bucks to hear the angelic voices and sweet harmonies ! If S&G, for various reasons, is not up to this expectation, they should stop doing these shows.

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread