Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThe Heidi Berg story

Page: [1] ... [3] [4] [5] [6]

AuthorComment

Forum guest
May-17-2011, 22:25 GMT
Spain

These two albums don´t fit even in the minds of many people, because they are truly revolutionary ... except in the Simon´s mind.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1737 ]

Forum guest
May-21-2011, 10:07 GMT
Hungary

On Cool Cool River: I think only the rhythm is traditional. Musically it´s based on only one chord (and an other one in the bridge), so there aren´t many things to compose. I think that is why Simon meant arranged by VG. However it´s one of my favorite PS songs.

Proof
May-22-2011, 19:12 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Apologist! If there´s no track, there´s no song.

sea witch
Feb-02-2013, 12:06 GMT
Netherlands

Bodo, I have a question about the exact year...I was running a sur hut in the Yucatan at the time; a guest had given me this amazing tape I listened to every morning...it was 'Boyoboyo' I thought...anyhow this was 1984 I think(I still have the tape somewhere). Today for the first time I think of looking it up on the net, to find that there's a whole polemic about it! That people just don't get what happened; and dare to comment about what this Heidi Berg actually "wants"...says it all about their ethics : it's so clear that SHE wanted to do something with that music entrusted him with her tape, and kept under false pretenses !!! and Simon just stole the inspiration from her hands....indeed, indeed, may PAUL SIMON rot in hell for this

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1718 ]

sea witch
Feb-02-2013, 12:15 GMT
Netherlands

I may very well have one of these original tapes...contact me if you haven't heard it yet

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1717 ]

sea witch
Feb-02-2013, 12:22 GMT
Netherlands

Bodo, I have a question about the exact year...I was running a sur hut in the Yucatan at the time; a guest had given me this amazing tape I listened to every morning...it was 'Boyoboyo' I thought...anyhow this was 1984 I think(I still have the tape somewhere). Today for the first time I think of looking it up on the net, to find that there's a whole polemic about it! That people just don't get what happened; and dare to comment about what this Heidi Berg actually "wants"...says it all about their ethics : it's so clear that SHE wanted to do something with that music entrusted him with her tape, and kept under false pretenses !!! and Simon just stole the inspiration from her hands....indeed, indeed, may PAUL SIMON rot in hell for this

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1717 ]

Bodo  
Feb-02-2013, 14:11 GMT
Austria

Hello

Although I would be very interested in hearing that Boyoyo tape I just wonder why you introduce yourself (your first posting ever) on a Paul Simon fan page with a line like' may PAUL SIMON rot in hell for this.

As I see myself as the moderator of that forum, and as we never said any harsh words in our discussion - and most fans themself just want to know more about the story, and neither of us can deny this story nor can find a real good proof for it, I do not understand why you start with such an attack...?

You simply attack EVERYONE just because they ask a question (What does Heidi Berg want?) and you even go so far to tell them they have the wrong ethics. Now thats a lot of attacks for a beginner, don't you think?
You might understand that all other people reading this and answering to that thread will simply attack you now. I do not see that as my fault BTW. In the internet this is called 'trolling'

Sorry, I thought you are going to start an interesting discussion and bring some NEW FACTS. Instead, you
simply told everyone else on that forum that they are idiots.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1707 ]

Stewie
Feb-03-2013, 23:39 GMT

Paul Simon is a great a artist, a lyrical and melodic genius of a sort. At the same time, there is no way that he is directly responsible for the myriad of genres artfully realized in his complete body of work. Cool Cool River, as an example, and only in terms of the music track, was clearly designed and constructed by a musician with a high-level detailed understanding of the genre specific rhythms and harmonies. It's certainly possible that Paul directed that construction, and guided the realization in an important way, but to assert that this piece of music was "written" only by Paul cannot not possibly be accurate by contemporary copyright standards. That track was without a doubt, in its moment of birth, the inspiration of another man.

The real question is what you think of all this. Many artists blur the copyright line, by its strict definition, and for sure any unknown musician that intersects with Paul is going to benefit in the broad sense. Is Paul "guilty" of something, or not? It's a grey area by any measure.....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1678 ]

Bodo
Feb-04-2013, 09:54 GMT
Austria

Hi Stewie

Very well said and I first thought that I am going to agree with you. Especially because I do not know that much about the circumstances how The cool cool River was written/produced.
But then there comes another point. From the last few albums we know very well how every track evolved, and those are very complex songs including all different shades of music. Complex changes in melody and rhythm (I think about 'Thats me', 'Love and blessings', ' Hurricane eye', 'Bernadette'(!!)) - and everyone can be sure at 100% that those songs are composed and written by Paul Simon alone. If he can write songs like that, I don't see why he can't write The cool cool River.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1670 ]

Mike  
Feb-04-2013, 18:09 GMT

Well said Bodo. It's also much easier for us to compile the statements and interviews from Paul Simon and his musicians today using the internet. We have access to much of the thought processes associated with each song on the "So Beautiful or So What" album for example. I think there has always been that desire from fans for the stories behind each song, but today it is more feasible to steer interviews and access what would normally be rare data.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1659 ]

Stewie
Feb-07-2013, 22:24 GMT

Bodo, I'm not saying that Paul never writes a song by himself. Of course that would be foolish. But if you're familiar with african and brazilian rhythms, if you're familiar with harmonic structures that fall outside the scope of folk and rock music, if you're familiar with paul's working method, as it's been described, it becomes somewhat clear that paul, in some cases, comes across a more fully formed track bed, rhythm and harmony, and adds his melodic and lyric genius to it. that is not insignificant. but it is also not solo composition, by the strict definition of copyright. there is no one on earth, including paul, that would have such mastery of so many genres and styles of music from all over the world, such that he could convincingly compose and produce in all of them. if you're familiar with the musical process, you know it's not possible. i'm enjoying our conversation on this intriguing topic

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1619 ]

dave spira
Apr-08-2013, 00:12 GMT
Netherlands

I know that everyone loves Paul and thinks he would never steal an idea from someone who he was mentoring and use it for his own project and not even pay the girl.... but we all know thats what happened. The proof? Listen to his two albums that immediately preceding Graceland. Was there even a hint of the sound of Graceland? He was a tired, uninspired rich little hustler. always looking for the edge. He found a young, inspired talented kid with fresh ideas, fresh contacts and her finger on the pulse of the current trends and sounds. She opened up the door for him. She made him cool again. Made him relevant. She had an idea, and he stole it. And crushed her dreams while making a fortune. Period. Oh yeah, ask yourself one more question..... has anyone ever heard him talk about Heidi Berg? Has anyone heard him deny he was her producer? Has anyone ever heard him explain how they were "friends"? And why she would give him a tape? No. And why not? Because he can't talk about it. If he even starts down that road, it all falls apart. But karma is a bitch. And eventually, everything sees the light of day. And hopefully, one day Heidi Berg will write the real story. The whole world is waiting.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1518 ]

dave spira
Apr-08-2013, 00:13 GMT
Netherlands

Sea Witch - I would love a copy!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1518 ]

Julie
Apr-08-2013, 08:25 GMT
United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum Mr Spiral. I see from you are from the Netherlands according to your flag and from the USA according to your profile. Tell us about yourself....how did you come to enjoy the music of Paul Simon? Which is your favourite song? How many concerts have you attended? I presume of course that you are a fan having joined a fan forum, Whatever other reason could there be....

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1511 ]

Eliott G
May-11-2013, 01:16 GMT

How could the tape vanish? It was released by the record company in South Africa. It was not a bootleg. It was a finished commercial tape. It had a label, a cover, it was a real record. Simon made sure nobody culd ever find it. Maybe Heidi Berg will surface one day and show the tape to the world. And play the original tracks without Simons vocals. But paul is a very rich powerful man. He will not let that happen. It will destroy his legacy.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1424 ]

Page: [1] ... [3] [4] [5] [6]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread