Bottom

HeadlineWho asked this question??

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Dec-22-2003, 14:12 GMT
IP:
Austria

Where did Simon And Garfunkel last sing together in the last century?

Answer:
December 1999 in Buckingham Palace for HM Queen

I´ve never heard of such an performance and I don´t believe it´s in any way true...

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 284 ]

Bodo
Dec-22-2003, 14:18 GMT
IP:
Austria

Art played there alone!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 283 ]

Ans Koenen
Dec-22-2003, 17:27 GMT
IP:
Netherlands

Was this a question from the quiz?
It seems that HM Queen is a big fan of Art. So it was said here in the paper as it happened. She invited some more artists, it was for her birthday. She should have invited Paul!! I would have in her place, imagine a private concert from Paul at your home. That would be marvellous!

Nathgertsch
Dec-22-2003, 18:40 GMT
IP:
France

Yeah, I have thought of doing that for my next birthday ;-)

Nathalie

Marieno 
Dec-22-2003, 20:09 GMT
IP:
France

For your next birthday in your new house (your palace?); don´t forget the beautiful hat, you know, like the Queen...

Micky
Dec-23-2003, 01:48 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

What an odd answer.........

Being inthe UK I would have thought I´d have heard this one and I haven´t.

Hugs

Micky

David
Dec-23-2003, 02:25 GMT
IP:
Germany

Paul and Art were invited to Buck Shed at a private millenium party at the end of December 1999. (I think it was around the 27th.) as personal guests of HRH Prince Charles for a party hosted by HM Queen. They sang Mrs Robinson and The Boxer only. It was a private party, with no cameras or reporters. The only news of the event was a few lines in the daily papers. However, the topical news-quiz show, "Have I Got News For You" brought up the event a number of times as co-presenter Paul Merton also attended the private party. Art was later invited to play solo at Buckingham Palace again, in the summer of 2000, where he played Bright Eyes and at least one other track. (I can´t remember which!) That was a charity event of some kind, but the S&G performance at the Palace in 1999 was a highly personal affair. However, it WAS widely documented, albeit not on a grand scale. Shame on you Micky!

Julie
Dec-23-2003, 10:00 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

I live in the UK too and I didn´t know about it at the time either. But I heard about it after and I´m pretty sure that it was only Art Garfunkel solo at both events.

Bodo
Dec-23-2003, 10:52 GMT
IP:
Austria

David if you have any material (newspaper or whatever) which can prove this facts then I would believe you - but I can´t believe you that there have been a few lines in daily papers and no one else than you would have read this article. I´m 100% sure that this would be a much bigger story and at least anyone at AMPS would know about this concert of S&G.
Also Paul and Art told us that they meet for the first time in years at the Grammy Awards 2003.

If you search on google for this Buckingham palace show you will find an article on http://www.artgarfunkel.com telling you that only Art played there.

Either the press article you have read mixed some wrong facts together (as usual) or someone told you a story which he made up to let it sound better for you - but as long as you aren´t a member of the Queens family I would say this story is pure fiction.

Julie
Dec-23-2003, 11:15 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

I can´t believe they played together either. It would surely have been leaked to the press if they had.

Bodo
Dec-23-2003, 11:41 GMT
IP:
Austria

Right - and David said it WAS in the press, so someone must have read it or.
Im never against any breaking news but this story doesn´t have any facts and implies a lot of lies by Art and Paul if it should have been true.
I´m sure someone mixed in a lot of things to make the story sound more interesting when he told it to you David, or it was someone who doesn´t know much about the pair and heard that Garfunkel played S&G songs and so he told the story S&G played together there.

The last performance of S&G in the last century was on Dec. 5 1993. Even in summer 2002 Paul told the press that he didn´t speak with Art since that time.

David
Dec-23-2003, 12:40 GMT
IP:
Germany

And I can´t prove it either!! I´ve looked everywhere and I can´t find a damned thing! But I clearly remember all I heard. And Paul and Art never remember what they are saying anyway. You can´t really believe anything they say!! Visitors of the last few concerts will recall: Paul: "The last time we played Leaves That Are Green in concert was Carniege Hall, 1967"............ Really Paul! You played it last night actually. And at Hollywood Bowl in 1968. And again at the concerts in 1993! In fact the concerts in 1993 are hardly ever refered to by Paul and Art and they both seem to have forgotten they ever existed. And Paul and Art regually got together for various events. Often they were seen sociallisng at the same events. And as on many an occasion before, Paul and Art were invited to this event purely on a social basis, not in any way intoning a re-union of any kind. In fact, as I recall, the press was rather ambivalent about the whole thing, finding it rather amusing that for such an occasion "only" Simon and Garfunkel were there to represent the music world! I really do remember it clearly! I wish someone out there would remember it too! Or Rosi, when you actually get to meet the Man himself please ask him that for me!!!! And does anybody know where they actually spent the Millenium?

Bodo
Dec-23-2003, 13:17 GMT
IP:
Austria

"And does anybody know where they actually spent the Millenium?"

Whit their family... at home

About ´Leaves That Are Green´
The song wasn´t played in 1993 or the early 80´s.
The last time he actually played it official was in the late 60´s anyway 1967 isn´t the right year but how should he remember that? Only crazy fans like us who search trough bootleg lists will find the exact year. Paul never thinks that his fans would go to more than 1 concert of a tour (In fact he said to Nicolas when he told Paul that he will visit 7 shows :"I hope it isn´t boring... it´s always the same show" and so for the main audience it is always a new show And the whole joke wouldn´t work when he says "the last time I played this song was yesterday" That has nothing to do with memory.
I know that his musicians a few years ago (at the Bob/Paul tour) said that Paul has an amazing memory and they are always surprised at the rehearsals when Paul says something like :"Oh Tony, can´t you play this harmonica part the same way you did like in St. Antonio in 1987?"

Also they didn´t forget the concert in 1993 (last year paul said it was so horrible he would never do that again) - but the press is making a big hype with the headline FIRST TOUR IN 20 YEARS (and in small letters..first ´stadion´ tour)

So again, WHERE did you hear about that Buckingham Palace concert? There must be a friend or someone who told you that (and I´m sure he made a big joke with you)

David
Dec-23-2003, 14:16 GMT
IP:
Germany

Hey Bodo, I was just about to say...."send me your email and I will send you "Leaves That Are Green" recorded in New York on October 22nd 1993 at the Beacon Theatre, NY." when I though, hang on. I´ll just double check. So I put the CD in my tray and flipped forward to track 15 entitled "Leaves That Are Green." and listened........."I hear the drizzle of the rain, like a memory it falls...."

Oh shit. Gib ich Dir recht. My fault I guess for only looking at the back cover and not actually remembering what was on the CD!

But aside of Kathy´s Song being mistaken for "Leaves" in ´93 they did play it at Holywood Bowl in ´68. (Although on most CD covers it is missing, having been added to the back of "Cloudy on track 13). They also played "Leaves" on their European Tour in 1970 in Holland and in Paris. But then that was over 30 years ago so I guess it doesn´t matter either whether it was ´67 or ´70.

But Paul did say in the eighties that he thought "Rock" was a ridiculas song full of neurosis and that he would never, ever play it again. (I can´t remember where I read that, either!) and then low and behold......along came the 2000 Tour!

But as in regard to them appearing together in 1999, I clearly recall seeing the newspapers and hearing more details about their presence at the Palace shortly after the event! It´s just that the press thought it not to be a big deal!! In fact, the topical-news-quiz-show "Have I Got News For You" hosted then by Angus Deyton thought the spectacle laughable! I cannot imagine for a minute that the story was made up or indeed intended only to be a joke. Too many different sources confirmed the happening. It was at no stage reported as a concert, or as a reunion. Simply that both had been present and that Boxer and Robinson had been sung. They were guests at a party, and nothing else. That is how the event was described. It was a millenium party, but held in the week preceeding 31st December 1999. And I am convinced that I heard and read correctly. Ehrlich! And it is now bugging me to high heaven that I can find no mention of it. Although I don´t suppose all information is available of every party attended by Paul, I had hoped to find at least something! Someone please ask when they meet him, and return my credibility to me!!!!! :-))

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread