Bottom

HeadlineMiami #Herald Review

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Micky 
Dec-19-2003, 03:18 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

I found this interesting review from the Miami Herald.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment
/events/7518707.htm

Now please any Artie fans don´t flame me here. It´s just my own personal opinion, but I agree with this statement going by the recent songs I´ve heard.

"The harmonies weren´t as light, airy and sweet as they once were. Garfunkel´s voice in its high range was pitchy and worn. Simon, whose soft, careful cadence seems ageless, now shares lead vocals on Bridge Over Troubled Water, once a showcase for Garfunkel´s pristine tenor. Garfunkel, however, pulled it together for an ovation-worthy closing phrase on the ballad."

Hugs

Micky

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 341 ]

Kath 
Dec-19-2003, 04:48 GMT
IP:
Canada

Hmm...It was an interesting review! I Love reading what different people think of S & G now-a-days...Probably since I am not going to the concert...:(...But it was still good to read! Thanks!!

PS Was that an older review? They said Artie was 61...Or did they just make a typo?? lol

Bodo
Dec-19-2003, 18:21 GMT
IP:
Austria

hehe, I´ve the paper... just was reading the review at my flight back from Miami.

I can agree to this review, and I also can agree that at least Paul seemed to feel uncomfortable (compared to all his solo shows I saw)

Ans Koenen
Dec-19-2003, 19:11 GMT
IP:
Netherlands

Hi Bodo,

Back home safely, do you have a jetlag?
The last reviews say that Paul enjoyed himself at the second half of the show after the everly brothers. Is he getting tired of to many shows or tired of Art?

Bodo 
Dec-19-2003, 20:29 GMT
IP:
Austria

Hi Ans! I´m still up and I don´t want to go to bed now. I´m up since...27 hours...uaaa.

I would say that Paul enjoys his solo shows much more IMO. It could be that he is also tired after so many shows (but Art isn´t) Paul always looks very sad - his usual look - and rarely smiles. I recognized that Art gave Paul a few times a hugh, but Paul didn´t gave it back...

I think the Herald Review is really good, I can agree to all things (except that Mrs. Robinson isn´t a Paul Simon solo song, and that Art is also 62 years ;-)

I loved ´The only living Boy in NY´, the best song of the whole show IMO. And Paul´s second verse on Bridge was thrilling!! he blow that room away.

Ans Koenen
Dec-19-2003, 21:42 GMT
IP:
Netherlands

Wauw, that´s quite a marathon, Bodo.
Now you have seen them together, do you think there is a chance they will come to Europe and was it the trip worthwhile?

Rosi
Dec-19-2003, 22:16 GMT
IP:
Germany

It´s the same impression as I got during our concerts in New York in Madison Square Garden. And a review in the New York Times wrote in similar way from Arts performance.

Bodo
Dec-19-2003, 23:06 GMT
IP:
Austria

The trip to Florida was worth everything, I was snorkeling in Key West, saw Delphins at a boat tour in Fort Meyers, collected hundred of really big shells, visited the Universal Studios, SeaWorld and Epcot, and I was at a really cool drive-in cinema with a 60´s style look - and the last thing was the S&G concert. I loved the performances of some rare songs but the audience was really really Old and lousy IMO - only for a few songs they stood up and a few seconds later they sat down again, the show never really impressed the whole audience because after a few seconds it always cooled down again. There was also not really an interaction between Paul or Art and the audience (Paul didn´t shake hands with anyone or something like that). When the Everlys played theri 3 songs about 5% of the audience went out of the stadion to buy some beer...really anoying and no respect to them!
The band was great, especially the piano player.
Some songs I really loved:

Bridge
The only living boy in NY
Hazy shade of winter
American Tune
Scarborough Fair

and songs which didn´t made it IMO:

Cecilia (uaah)
Kathy´s Song (definately a Paul solo...)
Slip slidin away (bored me)

I also thought that they should better end the show with some big hit´s, not Leaves That Are Green and Feeling Groovy. These 2 songs don´t have the potential to stay in your brain after the show ends...if you know what I mean?

Julie
Dec-19-2003, 23:19 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

It was the same sort of audience at MSG. Hardly any one got up to dance, the best most could do was jig around in their seats.

Ans Koenen
Dec-20-2003, 08:14 GMT
IP:
Netherlands

You had a very nice trip. They should come to Europe, the audience here is much better and alive. The organizers here are smart, in the Heineken Music Hall there walked some men between the audience with a small beer barrel on their back where you could buy some beer. But I can´t understand why people buy a (expensive) ticket and then walk around or leave early. That´s a waste of money IMO.

Marieno 
Dec-21-2003, 12:34 GMT
IP:
France

Welcome home Bodo, we miss you!!!
Those americans, they can´t stay 2 hours without eating or drinking. I heard it was the same thing during the American tennis open in NYC...that´s always despairs or irritates the players...
When i pay to see a concert or a spectacle, i stay from the first to the last minute of it...it is not only a question of money, it is also a question of courtesy and respect for the artits...

Nathgertsch
Dec-21-2003, 19:29 GMT
IP:
France

Welcome back Bodo : I could see you have enjoyed Florida (it brought be back very good memories :-) )but luckily, you didn´t remain there :-)Those Americans...

Nathalie

Brian
Dec-22-2003, 09:50 GMT
IP:
USA - United Staates America

At MSG, I absolutely loved "The Only Living Boy in NY" and "Kathy´s Song." I never recognized those as favorites until I heard them live. The energy was really in the crowd with American Tune, though.

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread