Bottom

HeadlineEmbarrassed Paul

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Micky 
Nov-20-2003, 23:29 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I noticed a discussion in NG about Paul and accolades and it made me think a little. Just how embarrassed he gets during these things.

We used to have a programme in the UK called ´Saturday Superstore´ and Paul appeared on it. On this particular day it was his birthday and the programmes organisers decided to supprise him with a big rousing Happy Birthday and a HUGE cake. Well, he didn´t know what to do with himself, he was so embarrassed. Dad said he thought he was being rude; but I said ´look at him, he´s embarrassed and doesn´t know how to react. The presenters were so taken a back by Paul´s lack or reaction they were convinced they´d got the date wrong.

He really seems to dislike that kind of thing; I saw him during the Kennedy awards he seemed to look very embarrassed most of the time. Edie was sat behind him laughing and Paul just had a look of ´what the..?´ or ´Please hand me a paper bag!´

I also noticed that during the playing of the anthem Paul didn´t have his hand over his heart.

He even looked embarrassed on Operah too, especially when people would cheer and clap every time he mentioned a song; it also got him mad...to the point where he asked them to stop.

I just don´t think he likes the praise. He knows what he does, etc., but the moment someone wants to pat him on the back and say how good he is...well!

Hugs

Micky

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 332 ]

Bodo 
Nov-21-2003, 10:24 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Absolute true, you are right Micky. And very detailed, I didn´t notice a lot of these things. Have you seen him sing the anthem on TV? (I never saw that...)
Which birthday was that of Paul on the UK TV? I remember on his 60. birthday there was NOTHING on TV or on the news here. They always bring big shows when others have a round birthday (like Bob Dylan..or even Brian Wilson) but no word about Paul Simon turning 60. :-/
And hell... this country guy Willie Nelson get´s a big show every 10 years. - So maybe all his friends know that Paul doesn´t like birthdays - and they never stand up and cheer ;-)

Nathgertsch
Nov-21-2003, 10:56 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Even on stage sometimes Paul looks embarrassed and not so at ease. He once said he needs some time to accept being in front of an audiance. He is surely more at ease in a studio.
About tv, here too in France it´s almost impossible to find a show or an interview but watching the Muppets Show for example, I have always been "impressed" by the fact he doesn´t really know where to stand, what to say and always looks embarrassed even if he really seems to have fun there. This behaviour makes me sometimes think of a shy child :-). And it´s often moving :-)

Nathalie

Marieno
Nov-21-2003, 19:55 GMT
IP:
Unknown

He seems at ease when he has his guitar: Papa Freud would have said that it´s a way to hide himself...i don´t believe he is really shy, i think he is not confortable with others (especially a crowd) and sometimes with himself; once, He said he didn´t like to see pictures of himself, he prefered to imagine.

Micky
Nov-22-2003, 00:42 GMT
IP:
Unknown

The Nnational anthem thing was at the Kennedy Awards..he was the only one. I´m not even sure if he was SINGING it or not.

The birthday appearance was around the time of Graceland, about 1987; so it would be his 46th.

As for Paul´s 60th..I agree. I really angered me when it was Paul McCartney´s 60th.

And look at flaming Micheal Jackson. Until all this latest brew haah haah there was going to be yet ANOTHER docimentary, but they thought better of it.

Micky 
Nov-22-2003, 00:44 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Yes Ia gree Nathgertsch...I know how that feels as I was aterribly shy as a child and even now in unfamiliar suroundings can feel shy and awkward.

And yes it is very touching that after all these years in front of millions of poeple; Paul still feels, at times, so ill at ease with fame and all the bagagge that goes with it.

Micky
Nov-22-2003, 00:47 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Oh I do think there is a certain amount of shyness there. It´s not something that usually completely vanishes....as I said, I speak from experience. I´ve stood infront of 2000 people and before stepping on the stage I thought I didn´t have a chance, but I hid behind my make-up and costume and so I agree with the hding behind the guitar. He´s more at ease when he has hold of that, it´s when it´s taken away he looks awkward etc.

Marieno 
Nov-22-2003, 08:47 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Is it an obligation in USA to sing the national anthem? you can Love your country without putting your hand on your heart and without singing loudly... :-)

Nathgertsch
Nov-22-2003, 09:24 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Right : I´ve read that but then, he should chose the double bass : easier and bigger to hide behind ! :-)

Nathalie

Micky
Nov-22-2003, 13:15 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Lololol....ROFL!!!! I like that..or a none costomised guitar...ergo notmal and bigger size ;-)

Hugs

Micky

Micky
Nov-24-2003, 13:04 GMT
IP:
United Kingdom

Well they do at school..Don´t know about college. You´ll see documentarys about their schools and first thing in the morning.....or is it ´I pledge allegance to the flag´?....Hmmmmm...It´s one of them ;-0

Hugs

Micky

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread