www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSimon & Garfunkel in the studio again?

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Nathgertsch
Sep-26-2003, 15:39 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Of course Paul and Art are free to make a record again if they feel so even if I can´t be agree with that for many different reasons and the first one is that I really prefer Paul as a solo artist and beeing again with Art surely means he will forget for a while (or even definitely ?) his solo work.
Now, I worry too about the reasons why they suddenly decide to tour together and even more to make a new album together : if it´s only because Paul realized he doesn´t have enough success anymore by himself, then, that´s very bad and sad. And the problem is that I have never heard or read anywhere, from Paul´s mouth, the real reason of this new reunion.
And to end, I can´t really see what can give nowadays a new album by S&G : but maybe they can Surprise me very positively. That´s only what I hope.

Nathalie.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 402 ]

Marieno
Sep-28-2003, 17:44 GMT
IP:
Unknown

I didn´t intend to provoke arguments or anything like that but, after all, it´s a forum, all opinions are welcome and respectable...
I admit that´ sometimes, i express my opinion with a little "fierceness" or irony, i´m sorry for that; my only excuse is that i´m very, very disappointed. I´ll try to explain why, despite my poor English.
For me, the S&G period is just a step in Paul´s career; during this period, he created great songs but it was also a time of frustration for him. When you listen the first track of his first solo album, you immediately know that it will not be the same thing anymore, that it is the real Paul Simon. "Mother And Child Reunion" sounds like freedom, like an artistic liberation. I don´t say that Garfunkel was (or is) an horrible tyrant or dictator, but working with someone else means making concessions which generates frustration and anger (see the "Cuba si Nixon no" case). I don´t want to see Paul loosing his artistic freedom.
As i said before, in an another post, i became a Paul´s fan when i listened "50 ways" on the CP81 album; i already knew and loved the S&G´s well known songs (thanks to the greatest hits) but for me, it was a revelation (hallelujah!!!), i immediately loved the song, the horns part, the drum (wonderful S.Gadd!)...with this song (and the other solos songs of CP81), i discovered Paul Simon, not only the little guy i knew as a part of S&G. After that, "Graceland" was released: an another shock for me; richness, luxuriance, it was a wonderful musical travel (as well as ROTS or You´re The One). I Love the richness of Paul´s music, listen carefully "That´s Where I Belong", the texture of its arrangements...I´m not interested in listening 2 voices and a guitar,sorry, but i prefer the brightness and the loudly sound of "Hurrican eye" concert version.
So, now, i´m disappointed by this tour, by Paul´s attitude, and, much more if they make a S&G album. I don´t understand Paul´s goal: to repear a friendship? you can be friend without making music together; money?...?!?...; to reach a new level of creativity? Paul doesn´t need Garfunkel for that, he knows that and fought for that 3 decades ago...
What makes me angry is that for 33 years, Paul has been trying to make people forget his past as a part of S&G, to prove he was not only this Simon, but he has never totally succeeded. And now, here we go again, with this tour and maybe the album, it will be worse: forgotten "Graceland", "Still crazy" (Paul´s anthem), "The Coast", "Late In The Evening", "Hearts And Bones"...He will be only and definitely Simon from S&G, this Old act who plays old songs for old rich fans...I believed that Paul wanted to avoid that, to avoid to end like The Stones and many other 60s groups or singers...it´s sad and i´m sad...
Marie-Noëlle.

Bodo
Sep-28-2003, 18:13 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Can´t say it better.
For me Paul´s solo career shouldn´t be forgotten, it´s much better than the S&G time and I hope he will be back in a few months.
But as a real fan I also don´t want to miss a Paul Simon show as S&G, so I want to see them - but I´m angry about the prices, because they only want our money..that´s everything.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread