www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineYour Top 10 albums of the 20th century?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

TobyNZ 
Jun-28-2003, 23:27 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Hi all,

I am writing on behalf of Dean Scapolo, a New Zealand music chart researcher, who is conducting a survey of peoples´ top ten albums of the 20th century (until 2000). He has had 1150 votes so far - but can never get enough!!

His website is:
http://hstrial-dscapolo.homestead.com/Page1.html
where you can find his list of the top 100 albums he has got (of all his 1150 votes) so far.

Here are the rules (VERY IMPORTANT!!):
1) No 21st century albums, this current survey is for 20th century albums only.
2) No bootleg albums, these are not official albums.
3) Greatest Hits, Live, Compilations and Soundtracks are fine.
4) Show your dversity and try to keep to a maximum of THREE albums by one artist.
5) TEN albums, no more no less. TEN.

ALSO - We need your NAME and COUNTRY!!! AGE is optional.
Please - this is very important as we cannot use your lists without this information. Nor can we use your lists if they do not follow any of the rules.

Lets see the lists come rolling in!

Remember, you can only have up to THREE albums from any one artist.

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you,

Toby, 20, NZ

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 487 ]

Bodo
Jun-29-2003, 01:06 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Toby, why is that project important?

I guess there is every week another ´Top-10-album´ voting somewhere on the internet...

And these poll´s are always pushed into a direction by some fans or newsgroups - so the result is never really the BEST album.

(Pink Floyd fans already have voted I guess ;-)

I´ll not vote, these polls are useless. My taste in music doesn´T change, just because I know that ABBA is on place 12, and Paul on place 59.

Hope to hear from you again Toby...(or was this only some spam?..)

TobyNZ 
Jun-29-2003, 22:35 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Hi Bodo,

Yes, there is, although there are many people who DO find this interesting. And though it may not be 100% accurate, it may give *some* indication.

Although we have posted on a number of artist-specific forums, Pink floyd was #1 even BEFORE we had done this. The album "Dark Side Of The Moon" seems to get lots of votes no matter where we go.

On the ABBA forum, almost NOBODY voted for Gold. So almost ALL votes for that album have been collected outside the ABBA forum. In fact, it was at #9 even before we had posted there, so it has actually gone a little DOWN since then.

I understand your point of view, though I don´t really agree that these polls are useless. While they may not be 100% accurate, they can be still found interesting by many people in terms of what rules and regulations they DID follow.

And it´s good to see you like ABBA too :) - they are absolutely my all-time favourite band. But I don´t think ABBA Gold is worthy of top 5, as it is not better than Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (in general), The Beatles Sgt Peppers, Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, etc.

Also, you may say that because we post on artist-specific forums, it may not be a valid poll. I can see that to an extent, as you would think out of this, the list could be slanted, but know this:
*Actually, only about 500 of these votes (ie less than half) are from artist-specific forums
*The rule of only 3 albums per artist reduces the likelihood of slanting the list towards specific artists, as people HAVE to vote for other artists
*The rule of all must be 20th century reduces the likelihood of slanting the list towards modern artists (eg there is only 1 or 2 albums from the 90´s in the top 10)
*We have also noticed that while after posting on some artist-specific sites, even though some of their albums may get slanted unfairly for a while, they actually go back down eventually. This has happened with most artists EXCEPT one - Madonna, her "Ray Of Light" album, still at #11, due to a huge amount of votes on the Madonna site. This is, I admit, an example of inaccuracy, as this album (while I Love it very much), should NOT be in the top 10 as it is NOT more well-liked over U2 The Joshua Tree, Shania Twain Come On Over, or even some albums just below it. Though I think it does deserve a place in the top 40, it is her most popular album.

I hope you don´t laugh at this message - I just want to outline MY opinion.
You may or may not choose to vote - it is your choice. Though obviously many people DO like this, as we have 1150 votes so far...

Thanks for replying,

Cheers, :)
Toby, 20, NZ

Bodo
Jul-01-2003, 12:42 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Just a correction:
"And it´s good to see you like ABBA too :) - they are absolutely my all-time favourite band. "

Uh, I never said that...just in another thread I said that I can´t hear them anymore.
But thats no problem.

I´m happy that I´ve heard from you again, because I first thought this is a sort of charming spam.

Voting is very popular on the internet, even I have started some of these polls here (and now - for myself - realized how senseless these polls have been. *g* - But that´s only my opinion. It´s just a way of having an interactive response on your websites... the result is IMO never the truth.

(BTW, where is Michael Jackson´s Bad album on this list - I always thought that this was by far the best selling album of the century - and where are any Elvis albums placed?)

I´m not a fan of them :-)!

TobyNZ 
Jul-19-2003, 18:52 GMT
IP:
Unknown

Hi all,

Any lists?

Just remember to read the rules and include your NAME and COUNTRY!!!! (important) :)

Cheers, :)
Toby, 20, NZ

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread