Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineNew article Dutch newspaper

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Michiel
Sep-18-2018, 02:49 GMT
Netherlands

In the AD, a Dutch newspaper a few days ago they published a very recent interview with Paul. I translated the text to English using Gogle Translate. Enjoy!

Paul Simon: A more normal life, that's what I'm looking forward to

Six concerts and then Paul Simons career as a live artist. On Friday a new album appeared, In the Blue Light. His last? ,, That is a possibility, yes. I now find other things more important than writing songs. ''

It runs into eight on Friday evening when Paul Simon reports by telephone. His location? "A cliff on the tip of Long Island, east of New York. I look out over the Atlantic. Yes, that view belongs to my house. Fate has been favorable to me. "

That lot brought Simon (76) a career of more than 60 years. From 1970 solo, before that with Art Garfunkel in the most famous duo from pop music. The leaflet of the telephone conversation is clear: No questions about Art. The relationship between the two was often tense, but would be completely over since their last reunion tour.

The Friday published In the Blue Light is Simon's fourteenth solo album. Then he reinterprets his own work. No radio classics, but album tracks like Some Folks' Lives Roll Easy (1975) and Darling Lorraine (2000). The release of the record falls in the final part of his farewell tour. On September 22 he will play his final concert in New York.

Why did you want to re-record old songs? Were they not good at first?

,, Of some songs I have always found that they deserve more attention. I even think Darling Loraine is one of my best songs. Only the arrangement took away the attention of the text. I have now solved that. A privilege to be able to look back and repair. That is much more difficult for a novelist or painter. And whatever plays: I have not written new songs for years and I do not feel the urge to do that at the moment. "

How did that happen?

,, Usually songs are created by improvising on my guitar. If I try that now, I always end up in the style of Stranger to Stranger, my latest album. For good songs I have to go to a new phase, but I am apparently not ready for that. And I have made enough songs to not have to write for the sake of it. "

So this could be your last album?

,, That is a possibility, yes. Although I like the process of recording in a studio. Maybe I need a different form

Is your age the most important reason for stopping?

,, What I also find important: I have played my famous songs in many different ways over the years. They are just finished. I would not know what to do with The Sound of Silence or You Can Call Me. The public still wants to hear those songs, but I see no reason to meet that demand year after year. Especially now that I am almost 77. Instead of touring again, I can also go to India, where I have never been more than a few days. "

I saw you perform in Amsterdam in July ...

Interrupts: ,, I have had a good time this time. My whole family was with me. For the first time in my life I made a boat trip across the canals. Wonderful! "

... and then you said that you thought a 'sailing tour' was scary at first, but that you have embraced the idea in the meantime.

,, That is how it is. Everything has an end. And rarely do we get the opportunity to organize that end as we want. It could have been the same with me as with Aretha Franklin. She announced her last tour, but has never been able to make it. I am grateful to be able to do these concerts now that I am on the top of my game. My voice is still good, the band is great. I enjoy it. "

You even played Bridge about Troubled Water (which had been on the repertoire for years now only with Garfunkel). Tonight I'm taking it back, you said.

,, It is very satisfying to be the owner of that song again. I really look forward to singing it every time. This version with classical musicians is so different from the Simon & Garfunkel version. She lets the song come back to life. "He pauses. "Especially because the composer is now the one who performs his own song."

What are your plans after your last concert?

"I want to see as much of the planet as possible. Apart from India I have an island trip from Hawaii to New Zealand on my list. And Edie (wife Edie Brickell, ed.) And I want to see the Northern Lights. This is my chance to spend a lot of time with her and the children (Simon has four, ed.) Occasionally take a trip with her. I also want to help protect the environment and nature. I am going to offer my services at such an organization. Not directly creative work, but important. At the end of the ride, I would rather say that I had a great life than a great career. "

What will you miss?

,, The performance maybe. Making music with a good band remains a great feeling. It remains a pity that you can not travel with one person in his twenties for one performance. But beyond? It does not look as unhealthy as there will soon be less people staring at me. What more anonymity does not hurt. Yes, a little more normal life, that's what I'm looking forward to. "

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 967 ]

Michiel
Sep-19-2018, 05:51 GMT
Netherlands

I discovered that a fragment of the interview was not translated yet. Here I add it.

So this could be your last album?

,, That is a possibility, yes. Although I like the process of recording in a studio. Maybe I should look for a different form

than an album. I do not know yet. In my opinion, stopping completely is the only way to get my thoughts fresh again. My brain must get used to not doing what they have been doing throughout my career. I have been working since I was 15 years old. I am curious what happens when I break that rhythm. I mean: my brain is still healthy. Something will come out anyway? "

And the concert tours are really over in three weeks?

,,Certainly. Not because I do not like the performance anymore. It concerns the days between the concerts. To get my voice up to level again, I talk as little as possible. So eating out with friends is not possible. Because I am far from home, it stays with a little yoga, some fitness exercises and further reading and a lot of sleep in my hotel room. In this phase of my life I can spend my time better. ''

Is your age the most important reason for stopping?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 889 ]

Rob
Sep-20-2018, 13:29 GMT
Netherlands

Thank you Michiel, I looked up the Dutch version. It's a nice interview with some new insights.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 805 ]

Rob
Sep-24-2018, 12:12 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Gerard, ik was er ook op de tweede avond, bij het boeken voor de eerste avond viel mijn computer uit, en voor ik het wist was ik te laat ;) Geweldige avond gehad. (recensies heb ik allemaal wel gevonden, ik heb blendle) Gisteren de reacties gelezen op de laatste avond in Queens. Zeer emotioneel...
Sorry for posting in Dutch, I wanted to reply to Gerard, if I post it on the Dutch forum he wouldn't see it probably.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 650 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread