Start a new Thread

Bottom

Headline10 Simon concerts

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Søren
Jul-05-2018, 07:04 GMT
Denmark

I just realised that the concert in Copenhagen this week was my 10th Simon concert. I know a lot of people here have a much higher count, but I thought it was worth mentioning :-)

Here is the list:

1. 2002, Randers, Denmark
2. 2004, Copenhagen, Denmark (with Garfunkel)
3. 2006, London, UK
4. 2008, Paris, France
5. 2011, Dublin, Ireland
6. 2012, Herning, Denmark
7. 2014, Odense, Denmark (with Sting)
8. 2014, Manchester, UK (with Sting)
9. 2016, Aalborg, Denmark
10. 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark

All the concerts were great, only one a little disappointing (the Paris one, we had first row tickets, but the audience wasn't much into it, and anytime anybody got up to dance, they were told to sit down...).

If you must ask, here is my top 5 ;-)

1. 2011, Dublin, Ireland
Very small venue, all standing, first row center, tried to alter the setlist by writing LIESL on it (didn't succeed though, but got some funny comments from Mr. Simon), and great company :-)

2. 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark
The ranking might change, once it settles in, but this latest concert was really amazing. The audience was really appreciative, Paul was in great form, the sound was extraordinary, and it actually felt like the whole "farewell-concept" made it special.

2002, Randers, Denmark
First Simon concert after being a huge fan for 8 years at that time, small outdoor concert (on a football pitch, more or less), all standing. I loved the YTO album and the setlist also included my favourite Simon song at the time (Cool, Cool River). Just me and my GF (now wife). I wanna go back! :-)

4. 2012, Herning, Denmark
The Graceland part made this one really special (although the regular tour band actually was outshining tha Graceland cast IMO), and it was great to hear the full album (except one song, of course) played live. Very good seats in a great venue and a legendary night out in Herning with my good friend after the concert ;-)

5. 2006, London, UK
I had been waiting too long for this my second solo Simon concert, and London did not disappoint! I loved the Surprise album, but a few of those songs did not work so well live. But it was a great concert with lots of dancing up front :-)

Now looking so much forward to my 11th (and final?) concert in 10 days from now. See you in London?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1347 ]

Scaaty  
Jul-06-2018, 19:47 GMT
Unknown

Great to see Dublin as your No 1 - PS got a cold that time - & blamed it on the weather in Ireland that week! Can’t say I blame him: it was wet & freezing that June. He won’t have that problem this time as we’re heading into our 4th week of a heatwave. There are still tickets available if anyone is looking for an excuse to see the not so Emerald Isle!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1246 ]

Nikki  
Jul-08-2018, 00:23 GMT
Belgium

Yes it's an occasion that deserves marking Soren! I agree, I and a few other fans from the French forum were at Antwerp a few days ago and the energy from the crowd was amazing. It was my fourth and last Paul Simon concert (though I kind of think of it as my second and last because the two I attended in the middle, Taormina and Sydney - S&G - were far less memorable). The first was Lorrach, very intimate, open air, we were in the front row, we'd seen him rehearse in the afternoon, spoke to him, gotten his autograph, and I just remember being a star-struck fangirl staring up at his face in adoration for the whole night, it was really the best first concert I could have hoped for, beyond my wildest dreams. Antwerp was completely different, we were nowhere near front row, I was watching him on the screen instead, but I'm also really glad I got to feel the stadium-sized atmosphere of a Paul Simon solo concert for the first (and last) time. The crowd was with him the whole way through, from the greatest hits to the songs like Can't Run But and Dazzling Blue which probably only a handful of people in the audience had listened to before. I just watched some videos uploaded by other fans present at the same concert and it's evident how much he was enjoying himself, he looked so much more relaxed than I've seen from footage of previous tours (no more awkward hand movements :-D) and he's in such fine shape, his voice is as beautiful as ever. Honestly, I don't know that he's all that different from ten years ago. He stated overtly that he's retiring from touring but that it doesn't mean he'll stop making music. So here's to hoping that we'll see another album, and maybe just because I can't let go just yet, I'm hoping that it isn't really the last concert, that I will be able to hear him play and sing up close again in some "acoustically-pristine hall" somewhere in the world :-)

Enjoy your concert Soren and everyone else who still has an upcoming show to attend on this tour! And thank you Bodo for bringing us all together.

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 1181 ]

Marieno
Jul-08-2018, 17:28 GMT
France

I totally agree with Nikki; well, i must be since i was sitting next to her! ;-)
We were far from the front but seeing an arena full of people dancing and singing is great.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1142 ]

Scaaty  
Jul-12-2018, 00:10 GMT
Unknown

I started to go through the concerts I’ve been and am not clear on a few so decided to check on the fan database where I have them listed certainly for the first few concerts but I don’t seem to be able to access the info? I know Bodo you made some comments about changes and updating is that what happened?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1004 ]

Ans
Jul-12-2018, 22:31 GMT
Netherlands

The fan database does not work anymore. I tried to update my information and concerts several times the past few years but was unable to do so. Maybe a look at All concerts in the live section brings back your memory going through the concert dates and years.

Would be great to have access again to the fan database, I even tried to delete myself and register again but that didn't work either.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 925 ]

Rob
Aug-18-2018, 16:41 GMT
Netherlands

Yes that would be great. This site is still the only one I know that is somewhat active where Paul Simon fans gather. Which is a bit strange because when I look at the enthousiasm, and crowds that still listen to his music, and go to the concerts it seems to me it could be much more.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 830 ]

Bodo
Aug-20-2018, 23:01 GMT
Austria

I did not see your posting Ans. Will have a look soon what is going on in the fan Database. From what I know Facebook changed their access codes :-(

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 715 ]

Ans
Aug-21-2018, 17:47 GMT
Netherlands

Thanks Bodo, I always log in the old way. Would be nice to update my concert visits :)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 679 ]

Ans
Aug-21-2018, 17:50 GMT
Netherlands

Rob, there are several Facebook pages where fans gather these days. Also the official fan pages at Twitter and Facebook are more active this tour.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 678 ]

Rob
Aug-24-2018, 10:46 GMT
Netherlands

Thank you Ans, which facebook pages are that? I'm not on facebook but would like to take a look anyway.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 601 ]

Ans
Aug-24-2018, 23:28 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Rob, if you don't have an account on FB it will be difficult. The official Paul Simon FB page is open for everyone but unofficial fan pages are mostly closed groups. You have to log in and become a member to see the messages etc. there.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 573 ]

Rob  
Aug-25-2018, 10:19 GMT
Netherlands

Thanks, I'm not going to start a facebook account anymore, I closed mine a few years ago. I'll do with this great site, and will try to be a bit active here. I have the feeling that the goodbye tour doesn't mean the end of it at all. I'm looking forward to "in the blue light" and something really good which may come after that...

[Like] 1 Ans Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 558 ]

Bodo
Aug-26-2018, 11:06 GMT
Austria

http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/listfanconcerts.php
?tour=38

have been adding the last shows now.

You can add yourself to the dates you are visiting

[Like] 1 Scaaty Scaaty
[Reply] - [Readers: 509 ]

Page: [1]