Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineJoan Baez/Paul Simon 2016

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Klausi  
Jan-05-2018, 10:55 GMT
Germany

ARTE (French/German TV-Programm) will show today at 23.25 (11.25 p.m.) German time the 75.th birthday celebration from 2016 with Paul as "Special Guest". HD-Quality, PAL, 80 minutes.

Seems Bob Dylan had no time to do this job though much more connected to J.B. As he had no time to receive his Nobel-Award.

Being unforseeable obviously is a trademark somehow important for him.
The obvious child...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1341 ]

Henk
Jan-06-2018, 12:49 GMT
Netherlands

Thank you Klausi! I read your message just in time to be able to record the concert.
I'm glad our "boy in the bubble" had time to do this job :-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1265 ]

Baggy
Jan-08-2018, 00:35 GMT
United Kingdom

I have a dvd of this ..it is good. the whole show is good, Joanie sings and plays well. Paul ia good.

But it must be possible to celebrate Paul Simon without having to denigrate Bob Dylan at the same time !! " Dylan is ' more connected to JB'..?? really ? Do you have any evidence that Bob has spoken more than 10 words to JB in the last 30 years?? He may have a thousand good reasons for not being there. Joanie may have a thousand good reasons for not asking him...(i am sure she has indeed).

I am a fan of both Paul Simon and Bob Dylan... have been for the best part of 50 years. Over on the Dylan forum they don't waste time making snide comments about Paul Simon.. I wonder why??

Incidentally I also forgot to wish Artie happy birthday.......

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1219 ]

Klausi
Jan-08-2018, 10:00 GMT
Germany

Paul sang and recorded with Joan Baez, but he did not make political statements like J.B. always did.

But do you really think that Bob Dylan, who also wrote many "protest" songs, is not more mentioned in the context with J.B. than Paul?

Please remember the Paul/Bob tour, Bob wrote great songs, but he is not a great singer, many of his songs became hits sung by others. But certainly they respect each other, probably more than S&G.

And if not celebrating J.B. a really nasty thing was to refuse receiving the Nobel-Prize personally. No time??

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1192 ]

Klausi
Jan-08-2018, 14:08 GMT
Germany

Also there were a lot of nasty things here said about Garfunkel. In fact, imo all Paul did with him since 1970 was not very interesting and not inventive including the recording of an old song like "Citizen of the Planet" in S&G style.

It also always meant a career setback for Paul.

And I have no problem to critize Paul too. The movie OTP was not very good and the subject, what became of an artist who onle had one big hit in the sixties maybe interesting for musicians, but not for the public.

The Capeman was about a crime long forgotten and the songs could only be understood by those who knew the story.

Both projects cost him many years of work, which he could have used writing sensitive and good songs in a new sound like he always did.

And Paul`s output is small enough. 3 or 4 songs per year since 1963.

As Garfunkel said and Paul confirmed: he (Paul) has enriched my life.

He should have enriched the book of great songs instead even more than he did anyway...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1183 ]

Brenda
Jan-11-2018, 11:18 GMT
Australia

"The Years are rolling by me " . Beautiful harmonies by
Joan and Paul and great guitar from Richard Thompson .
https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr1iKrTqa2w

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1089 ]

Håkan
Jan-11-2018, 15:39 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Loks like "Joanie" doesn't remember the lyrics?

Actually Bob Dylan did (eventually) collect his Nobel Prize. Not at the gala on December 10th, but some months afterwards in a private gathering with the Swedish academy.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1074 ]

Bodo  
Jan-13-2018, 01:37 GMT
Austria

I did not know Joan Baez lost her voice, like Art Garfunkel did. This is so sad, I always loved to hear her voice a lot since I was a little kid.

She is recovering, like Artie... a little bit, but that is not the famous high voice I remember. I first thought that she only sang that low because of Paul and to backup him in his range on his song.. but when I heard the rest of the show now I was surprised that none of her famous songs are very recognizeable to me. Well, time flies by, thats sad. I wish I would have gone to a concert 10 years earlier.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1013 ]

Bodo
Jan-13-2018, 01:43 GMT
Austria

BTW, this was not meant to be harsh against Baez or her songs. And her voice is still strong, not like Arties whispering soaring voice. Still it is just not that Joan Baez voice of an angel anylonger.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1012 ]

Scaaty
Jan-13-2018, 18:44 GMT
Ireland

JB was interviewed on Irish radio recently, and with reference to an upcoming concert in Dublin she said there are a few of her well known songs she won’t be covering as her voice isn’t up to it any more.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 978 ]

Bodo
Jan-14-2018, 02:46 GMT
Austria

:-(
This is like Paul saying He wont do graceland Songs anylonger cause they are too fast to be sung with those many words...

The only Song with a higher Part she did was forever young, but it was not easy for her, she could sing those 2 words high and then had to have a break. This is so sad and out of World cause Baez was always THE crystall Sopran, 95% of her Songs are high... When she sang Diamonds and Rust I usually skipped it because it is one of the few Songs with a deep voice. Now thats the Highlight of the Shows...? So sad for her, i thought as she is a woman she will not loose her voice or it will only change slightly.
Her voice is Still better then arties one, no doubt.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 958 ]

Ans
Jan-16-2018, 20:10 GMT
Netherlands

At least Joan Baez is honest about her voice. I can understand very good that she wants to keep singing and playing. It is what she did all her life.

Art is blaming Paul again for loosing his voice. Keeps changing his story.

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 882 ]

Håkan
Jan-17-2018, 15:02 GMT
USA - United Staates America

When did Art blame Paul for losing his voice?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 850 ]

Brenda
Jan-17-2018, 21:30 GMT
Australia

in this article and it is not the first time in the past year or so that Art has blamed Paul for his voice problems. It was originally the prawns fault ! A few inaccuracies in the latest story. The Aust/NZ/Japan tour ended July 2009 not Jan 2010 and they performed together at the R and R hall of Fame Oct 2009 . Art did not appear to have any problems then. Also why schedule another S and G tour in 2010 if his voice had gone after the last one.

http://www.cantonrep.com/entertainmentlife/2018011
1/art-garfunkel-on-paulie-losing-his-voice-writing
-book-and-bruno-mars

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 832 ]

Ans
Jan-17-2018, 23:06 GMT
Netherlands

That's what happens when you keep changing your story....

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 824 ]

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread