Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineAuthorised Paul Simon biography coming

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Rob Oudshoorn
Oct-18-2017, 08:51 GMT
Netherlands

The authorised biograpy of Paul Simon will be published on May 8th next year.

From Amazon / Simon and Schuster:

see: https://http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Simon-Life-Robe
rt-Hilburn/dp/1501112120/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qi
d=1508312122&sr=8-4&keywords=paul+simon+bi
ography

and here: http://www.roberthilburnonline.com/

A publishing event from music legend Paul Simon: an intimate, candid, and definitive biography written with Simon’s participation—but without editorial control—by acclaimed biographer and music writer Robert Hilburn.

Through such hits as “The Sound of Silence,” “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “Still Crazy After All These Years,” and “Graceland,” Paul Simon has spoken to us in songs for a half-century about alienation, doubt, resilience, and empathy in ways that have established him as one of the most honored and beloved songwriters in American pop music history. His music has gone beyond the sales charts into our cultural consciousness. He was the first songwriter awarded the Gershwin Prize by the Library of Congress and is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (twice) and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Deeply private, Simon has said he will not write an autobiography and has refused to talk to previous biographers. But he not only opened up to acclaimed biographer Robert Hilburn for what has amounted to more than 100 hours, he also urged those around him to speak. Independently, Hilburn also interviewed others who have been important in Simon’s life, including his first two wives, Peggy Harper and Carrie Fisher, as well as, for the first time, people close to Kathy Chitty, his long-reclusive first muse.

The result is a deeply human account of the challenges and sacrifices of a life in music at the highest level, including the courage to leave Simon and Garfunkel at the peak of the duo’s popularity to pursue more fully his expanding artistic goals. Hilburn documents Simon’s search for artistry and his constant struggle to protect that artistry against distractions—fame, marriage, divorce, drugs, record company interference, rejection, and insecurity—that have derailed so many great pop figures.

Paul Simon: The Life is an intimate and inspiring narrative that helps us finally understand Paul Simon the person and the artist, including new and absorbing insights into his most enduring songs. Exploring his successes and failures onstage and off, the book combines the scholarship, passion, and storytelling grace of biography at its best.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] 6 Håkan, Marieno, Brenda, Scaaty , Ans, Ersa76 Håkan, Marieno, Brenda, Scaaty , Ans, Ersa76
[Reply] - [Readers: 1065 ]

Brenda
Oct-18-2017, 13:23 GMT
Australia

Thanks Rob. Should be a great read .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1037 ]

Marieno
Oct-18-2017, 14:11 GMT
France

At last! This book has been announced for many years!

It seems far more interesting and true to PS's life than the book by P.A Carlin: i have looked over this book, it seems that there were many factual mistakes...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1030 ]

Glnk
Oct-18-2017, 16:45 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Carlin admitted himself that he was more into the technical side of music making and the record industry. Hilburn is one of those critics that allows his opinion of the music get in the way of objectivity IMO, so both authorized and unauthorized bios can be seriously flawed in different ways. Should definitely be interesting, though. :)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1011 ]

baggy
Oct-19-2017, 18:10 GMT
United Kingdom

Do i spot anyone missing from the list of interviewees?? carrie fisher, people who knew kathy chitty etc .... Unless Hilburn has interviewed artie then i don't see how this can claim to be 'definitive'..

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 928 ]

Glnk
Oct-20-2017, 00:18 GMT
Unknown

Hilburn first interviewed Paul back in the '70's so I'm pretty sure he would have had conversations with Artie as well. The bar has been set quite high with his last book on Johnny Cash sourcing virtually every surviving family member, producer, band member and friend of Cash's, but they are going to have to come close.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 901 ]

Glnk
Oct-20-2017, 00:18 GMT
Unknown

Hilburn first interviewed Paul back in the '70's so I'm pretty sure he would have had conversations with Artie as well. The bar has been set quite high with his last book on Johnny Cash sourcing virtually every surviving family member, producer, band member and friend of Cash's, but they are going to have to come close.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 900 ]

Marieno
Oct-20-2017, 12:17 GMT
France

A biography is "definitive" only when its suject dies...

These last years, AG likes to spread himself on Paul in the press, so i don't think an interview is really necessary.
And i am not very sure that he has now the mental ability to tell the truth about his relationships with Paul...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 871 ]

Glnk
Oct-20-2017, 16:01 GMT
Unknown

The style of this author is very solid and workmanlike -- just stick to the facts without psychological speculation or dramatic reconstruction of personal relationships. Private matters are never the focus and where there is controversy or conflict, which is pretty much all the time in most bands, it gets mentioned and the story goes on. I don't think this is going to be a big deal. Besides Hilburn has touted Paul as his most articulate subject ever which indicates that is enough to carry the reader's interest without diverting subplots.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 852 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread