Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineQueens concert, April 5th 2017

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Mar-21-2017, 18:21 GMT
Austria

Paul Simon will be performing in his hometown- Queens, NY on April 5th.

The 12-time Grammy Award Winning artist will be joined onstage by Skip LaPlante who will play on 130 wind chimes created from unusual objects like crushed lobster pots, NY license plates and cosmetic items such as tweezers.

The benefit performance will take place on April 5, at Materials for the Arts, NYC’s largest provider of free art materials to arts organizations, nonprofits and all NYC Public Schools.

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Event Details:
An Evening with Paul Simon

Wednesday, April 5th from 7-9pm
Location: Materials for the Arts, 33-00 Northern Blvd, 3rd floor, LIC 11101

Cost: $500 (General Admission), $750 (VIP)
Event Link: https://paulsimon.splashthat.com/

[Like] 2 Lara, Brenda Lara, Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1964 ]

Brenda
Apr-01-2017, 01:33 GMT
Australia

"Still Charitable After All These Years "

http://queenstribune.com/still-charitable-years/

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 1740 ]

Henk
Apr-01-2017, 19:07 GMT
Netherlands

Thank you Bodo and Brenda for sharing this information.
I decided to go to NY. Seeing Paul in a small venue with only 175 people will be a treat!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1697 ]

Brenda
Apr-02-2017, 01:46 GMT
Australia

Mark Stewart is also playing. Should be a great night. Hope you get to meet Paul. Looking forward to hearing all about it !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1679 ]

Ans  
Apr-02-2017, 13:23 GMT
Netherlands

Wonderful to see him perform Henk, have a great time! Maybe you get lucky and talk to him afterwards.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1664 ]

Henk
Apr-06-2017, 15:49 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Indeed I was lucky!

Last week I sent an e-mail to the organisation if I could be of any help before the show. “That’s very generous”, they said. So on Tuesday I helped them for a couple of hours to get things prepared. And in exchange they gave me a seat on row number 2!!!

When I returned from the cloak room I ran into Paul and we shook hands, after the show I got introduced to him as the guy who came over from Europe, we had a little chat about the London show, and when I left at the end of the night Paul coincidentally took the same elevator down.

I talked to Mark as well. He said: “I know you, but I don’t know how.” I showed him some pictures about our meeting last fall and then he remembered me: With a friend of mine I went to London to the concert in the Royal Albert Hall. We had two seats in a box on the second tier. And before the show Mark walked into our box to enjoy the views, it was a total surprise, he apologised himself, he said “I’m a member of the band”, I said “Hello Mark, that’s okay” and we had a little chat about New York and Amsterdam. So nice to see him again.

Well, the concert was superb!

It was in a corner of the MFTA warehouse, a huge “kringloopwinkel” (that’s Dutch for “thrift store”) for school teachers and artists. It was cosy and intimate. Paul was in a very good mood. He mentioned both his parents were teachers. He made jokes about the “Ed Koch Bridge Song” nearby the venue (“I hate this song. No, not really.” And then he whispered “That’s a lie”). The audience cheered when he sang “The Queen of Corona”. In reply he said: “You know what it is, but most people think it has to do with beer.” He played a lot of songs about New York.

Setlist (as far as I can remember):
• America
• Homeward Bound
• Mystery Train – Me and Julio
• Here Comes the Sun
• Mrs Robinson
• The Boxer
• The Sound of Silence
• 59th Street Bridge Song
• Questions for the Angels
With:
Mark Stewart: guitar, backing vocals, cello, flute and tubaridoo (on all songs except Questions)
Skip LaPlante: xylophone and wind chimes (on the Sound of Silence and 59th Street Bridge)

It definitely was worth the trip!

[Like] 3 Lara, Isabelle, Håkan Lara, Isabelle, Håkan
[Reply] - [Readers: 1567 ]

Henk
Apr-06-2017, 16:33 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I forgot to mention he played Duncan as well.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1558 ]

Kristin
Apr-06-2017, 18:51 GMT
Unknown

That sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing those details.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1540 ]

Brenda
Apr-06-2017, 23:09 GMT
Australia

Thank you so much for the review Hank and sharing your memories of a great night. How enterprising to send that E mail ! Great set list too. How good to meet Mark again and Paul. fantastic !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1506 ]

Lara  
Apr-07-2017, 08:02 GMT
Italy

It's a stunning experience!! Thank you for sharing with us!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1477 ]

Ans  
Apr-07-2017, 11:18 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Henk,

Great you got lucky! What a wonderful experience to help build the stage for Paul. Great you had a little chat with Paul and with Mark. The London show last year was marvellous, I was there too.

We have indeed great "kringloopwinkels" here :)

Thanks for sharing your story.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1459 ]

Henk
Apr-19-2017, 19:52 GMT
Netherlands

Finally the pictures of the concert in Queens are online:

https://http://www.facebook.com/pg/mftanyc/photos/
?tab=album&album_id=10155289223283092

Only a few pictures of Mark, Paul and Skip performing. You can see Mark on the 'tubaridoo'. One of the last pictures shows Paul with the staff of MFTA.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1250 ]

Henk
Apr-19-2017, 20:04 GMT
Netherlands

And I'd like to promote the work of MFTA as well. This is a video showing the giant warehouse and people telling why they love the work done by MFTA:

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrc3bxNuGk
&feature=youtu.be

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1246 ]

Brenda
Apr-22-2017, 03:46 GMT
Australia

Thank you for the link to the photos Henk. And also the video, very interesting !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1104 ]

Brenda
Apr-22-2017, 03:46 GMT
Australia

Thank you for the link to the photos Henk. And also the video, very interesting !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1103 ]

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread