Brenda
Dec-15-2016, 08:44 GMT
Australia

Thank you Guest !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1557 ]

Brenda
Dec-15-2016, 08:49 GMT
Australia

Think their FB fan page got them voting very early before everyone else so their percentage was high a week ago . They have dropped from 66 per cent to 43 now . We need to catch up Bowie's album. Difficult as their fans are voting as much as we are . Still there are 25 days to go. Anything can happen

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1557 ]

Brenda
Dec-15-2016, 08:51 GMT
Australia

Too right Bodo ! About on the same level !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1556 ]

Eertje  
Dec-15-2016, 17:28 GMT
Netherlands

Well Bodo, he must have read your message. Just saw Hey schoolgirl on facebook: TBT to a hitrecord from Tom and Jerry

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1513 ]

Håkan
Dec-15-2016, 18:03 GMT
Sweden

>Well, if Paul would release one of his old "Tom and Jerry" recordings today, then this would compare to that Monkees album.

That's just plain silly Bodo. I guess that you haven't heard the album in question.

To discuss different taste is not very worthwhile, but when I compare Stranger to Stranger with Simon's best earlier albums, i can understand why it wasn't nominated for a Grammy. Certainly he is trying harder than anyone else in his generation to be innovative and special, but in the end it is the result that counts, I guess.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1500 ]

Eertje
Dec-16-2016, 18:34 GMT
Netherlands

Stranger to stranger is at the top! Never thought I would be so happy to have a laptop, 2 tablets and 3 phones at home to vote, vote, vote!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1407 ]

Brenda
Dec-16-2016, 23:57 GMT
Australia

Yes Eertje. Stranger to Stranger at the top . Where is should be of course ! Brilliant album. Can't remember any album of Paul's that got 5 out of five from so many reviewers. A joy to listen to. Great so many fans on here and other groups have joined together to vote ! Bodo has been very active too ! Poll goes to 9 Jan though so we have to keep at it !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1368 ]

Eertje
Dec-17-2016, 10:22 GMT
Netherlands

We will!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1344 ]

Richard USVI
Dec-20-2016, 18:35 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I have been a PS fan from about 1964, having first seen S&G in 1967 and most recently seeing PS in 2016. So I have been through the ups and downs of PS's career and I have met him twice. My favorite S&G album is BOTW and my former favorite solo album was Hearts and Bones. But I actually feel Stranger to Stranger is now my favorite. There is something extraordinary when an older artist refuses to compromise and continues to push himself (or herself) that lends this album a higher rating. PS is not in competition with Bobby Zimmerman or any other singer-songwriter. He is only in competition with himself. (Same could be said for the late lamented Leonard Cohen.) His music is for the ages and it seems destined to stand the test of time. This album is a masterpiece and that term is used way too much. But it fits here. I am sorry that Hakan doesn't like it as much as the earlier albums -- we are all entitled to disagree, so long as we respect everyone's right to their opinion.

[Like] 1 Isabelle Isabelle
[Reply] - [Readers: 1151 ]

Håkan
Dec-23-2016, 14:40 GMT

How can the whole album be considered a masterpeice, when it has fillers like "The Clock", and "In a Parade"? The instrumental "In the Garden of Edie" is of course more listenable then "The Clock", but not really something that stands out in Simon's catalog of songs.

Songs like "The Werewolf" and "In a Parade" are hard to comprehend. What attracted Simon to write a corny song about a werewolf?

The song "Stranger to Stranger" is another introvert song about Paul Simon's struggle to write new songs. The same theme that was dealt with in "Song about the Moon" with more positive approach.

Not counting the 5 tracks on the deluxe edition, I wonder who decided to put the three best melodies last on the album? I don't think I have ever before encountered such strange balance in the track listing of an album.

Anyway, I think the album has a fantastic "sound" to it, a fact that I think Roy Halee is mainly responsible for. And it is certainly about ten times better than the depressing bellyflop of "Surprise". And I problably like it better than "So Beautiful or so What".

I'm looking forward to the re-recordings of old songs that Simon and Halee are doing. That might be an interesting album.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 980 ]

Richard USVI
Dec-23-2016, 21:52 GMT

Hi Hakan,
Even BOTW had a cover of an Everly Brothers' song, just as Bookends had Voices of Old People -- I come from an era of albums when it was a pain in the neck to skip songs, but I almost always had to skip Voices of Old People -- yet I think Bookends is a masterpiece. I don't care for The Clock, but I love In the Garden of Edie -- I actually think that is PS's best instrumental (so far). Of course I respect your right to differ -- in the interest of finding common ground, I agree that this one is superior to Surprise or So Beautiful.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 942 ]

Richard USVI
Jan-10-2017, 14:34 GMT

By the way, this poll is supposed to have been concluded at midnight last night (although Album of the Year still appears open). I voted a lot! I wanted to see Paul win and he did.

Paul is the Artist of the Year and so far Stranger to Stranger is in the lead. Cool Papa Bell came in second in songs after the Monkees.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 601 ]

Klausi
Jan-11-2017, 08:48 GMT
Germany

"The clock" is very short and a good test for the low frequency range of a speaker.

Maybe it refers to the last words of the album "Finally we all fall asleep".

So carpe diem and memento mori (We all have two "M" in our hands).

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 535 ]

Brenda
Jan-12-2017, 22:40 GMT
Australia

Great news Richard ! Well deserved for a great album ! Many thanks to all who helped Paul win.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ultimate-classic-ro
ck-awards-2016/?trackback=twitter_flat_3

[Like] 1 Klausi Klausi
[Reply] - [Readers: 429 ]

Håkan  
Jan-13-2017, 14:02 GMT

So Paul Simon won the award for having fans-that-voted-the-most-times-for-the-same-thing? How can anyone bother to take this winning as a serious prize? Embarrasing is the word I would use.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 388 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread