Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineArt Garfunkel Mojo Magazine

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Nick Grace
Aug-02-2015, 11:03 GMT
United Kingdom

Art Garfunkel is interviewed in the September Issue of Mojo Magazine in the UK.

He talks about when Paul Simon moved to Kew Garden Hills Queens from New Jersey in 1953. Learning to sing, impressing the girls at PS 164 and also Paul Simon. The forming of their first doo wop group The Peptones which was paired down to a duo. Signing to Big records with Sid Prosen in 1957 aged 15. Recording Hey School Girl its success. The failure of the next three singles.

Then he mentions the hurt when under the name True Taylor Paul released a solo single True Or False. (The photo shows the single of the song and it's credited to Lou Simon, did Paul's Dad Louis write it?). Art felt massively betrayed.

Art went to college to study aracitecture then art history at Columbia. Moving briefly to San Fransisco to work in construction.

1963 whilst riding a bike in Queens bumping into Paul again not avoiding him and learning he had written Carlos Dominguez and He was my Brother. Performing the songs .

Age 24 learning how great a song writer Paul Simon was becoming when presented with Sounds Of Silence. Signing to Columbia.

He talks of the break up Catch 22 film Paul turning his back on Simon and Garfunkel. Art going solo. Recording the duo song My Little Town. Some talk about solo recordings.

Mourning the death of his long term girlfriend Laurie Bird. Not emerging till 1981 reuniting with Paul in Central Park. The reunion tour the new S & G album being turned Iinto a Paul Sim solo. Telling the interviewer let's not go there.

The Simon and Garfunkel tours of 1993 2004 2009

The loss of his voice and getting better now 150 solo shows later he is ready for a new S&G tour and album with Paul.

Art seems happy in the interview not bitter to Paul at the present

So what do you think is it time for one last Simon and Garfunkel Tour and well sorry Art a new S & G album maybe not.

Read the full interview in the magazine I have just given the high lights.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 782 ]

Marieno
Aug-02-2015, 16:03 GMT
France

No

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 769 ]

Isabelle  
Aug-02-2015, 18:43 GMT
France

your answer is realy  too long ... You should learn to do more short :) :)

PS: I thing the same ;)

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 767 ]

Marieno
Aug-02-2015, 18:46 GMT
France

Thank anyway to Nick for the article, but again, no!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 767 ]

Ans
Aug-02-2015, 21:55 GMT
Netherlands

I think he is jealous at the success of the Paul Simon & Sting tour that he keeps asking for another S&G tour, his voice is not healed, only in his own imagination.

No new tour and definitely no new album.

Looking forward to a new Paul Simon solo album and a solo tour would also be great.

[Like] 1 Klausi Klausi
[Reply] - [Readers: 760 ]

Michiel
Aug-02-2015, 22:44 GMT
Netherlands

Hopefully there will be a possibility for a one time Farewell Simon and Garfunkel concert, if Art's voice will be mended at some point and if both gentlemen are on speaking terms. Personally I do not expect any future S&G tour anymore, and certainly no record. But a final Farewell one time concert on USA territory broadcasted live throughout the USA and semi live in the rest of the world would be a nice closure of the S&G era. After that official farewell, the music of their recordings, especially the studio records which were only 5, shall continu to live on forever. Time it was and what a time it was, it was a time of innocence, a time of confidences. The biggest problem might be that Art's voice will not mend, since it is taking now far too long to completely recover. The next problem might be that they will not get on speaking terms anymore.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 759 ]

Brenda
Aug-03-2015, 10:11 GMT
Australia

Paulie , don't be mean. Surely you could spare a weekend to write and record a new S and G album for your old buddy!

[Like] 1 Scaaty Scaaty
[Reply] - [Readers: 751 ]

Klausi
Aug-03-2015, 13:28 GMT
Germany

Paul writes less than 4 songs a year, so please no S&G-tour and a Simon-album as good as the last one.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 747 ]

Scaaty  
Aug-03-2015, 13:51 GMT
Ireland

I think Brenda was only joking Klausi! Paul Simon putting an album together in a weekend? !!!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 746 ]

Ans
Aug-03-2015, 14:18 GMT
Netherlands

LOL, Paul has better things to do, even in a weekend :)

[Like] 2 Isabelle, Marieno Isabelle, Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 745 ]

Bodo
Aug-03-2015, 20:36 GMT
Austria

Whats going on with all those interviews, does Art think if he repeats himself very often it will help?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 735 ]

Brenda
Aug-04-2015, 11:50 GMT
Australia

Paul's reply in an interview with Sting last year on writing a song together that it can take him 2 years ! Maybe a new S and G album in like 2035! And Bodo ,who knows what is going on in Art's interviews. I gave up a long time ago !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 714 ]

Richard USVI
Aug-04-2015, 17:51 GMT
USA - United Staates America

In my opinion, instead of calling Art's album "The Singer" it should have been called "The Talker" because he seems to be unable to shut up. After his 'I created a monster' interview he should have realized that he only makes himself seem like someone who is either an egomanic, senile, or a bit of both.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 700 ]

Michiel
Aug-07-2015, 21:33 GMT
Netherlands

Hey Bodo, all these interviews indeed. Simon gives more interviews than Garfunkel, so I agree with you, he should not like to listen to himself speaking all the time so much....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 649 ]

Brenda
Aug-08-2015, 00:40 GMT
Australia

Guess the difference is Paul mostly talks about his current music in interviews and also other people music he is interested in. Sometimes about baseball etc. Art talks about himself. I cannot recall an interview with his current or past relationship with Paul or S and G are not mentioned.

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 638 ]

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread