Start a new Thread

Bottom

Headline60 mintes profile by Ed Bradley

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Marieno  
Jun-18-2015, 21:14 GMT
France

I have just "discovered" a part (6 minutes) of this 60 minutes Paul's profile/interview with Ed Bradley (i think i can thank "our" Brenda!):

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/brenda19ish/medi
a/Paul%20Simon%2060%20Mins%20Interview%201991_zpss
a2l5dnx.mp4.html?sort=4&o=39

and i must say that it is really the most intense and personnal Paul's interview i have ever seen especially when he talks about his father and about Carrie Fisher...it would great to watch the whole interview? any clue to find it?

[Like] 1 Lara Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 1740 ]

Marieno  
Jun-18-2015, 21:16 GMT
France

OOps, it was 60 minUtes!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1740 ]

Brenda
Jun-19-2015, 02:02 GMT
Australia

Marieno It was part of a 2 hour show aired by channel 9.
"60 Minutes The Entertainers." The Paul clip was on a 20 minute You Tube video (part 5 of 8 clips of the show) which included Arethea Franklin and Ray Charles. It has since been deleted. I recorded the Paul segment though. Here is a review of the show from the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/19
91/10/04/tv-preview/3672a373-83a1-497b-b4cc-6ea682
bcdc4d/

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1736 ]

Marieno
Jun-19-2015, 18:09 GMT
France

Thanks Brenda, i was sure it was you! ;-)

I am not sure to understand very well: i understand that your video comes from a "best of" of the 60 Minutes show but do you know how long was the initial interview? 12 minutes or 60 minutes?

Sorry, i am curious because the whole interview seems to be very good.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1717 ]

Brenda
Jun-22-2015, 06:42 GMT
Australia

Marieno, The clip was recorded from a 2 hour programme which edited previous interviews from over 20 people. I believe the Paul segment was originally longer but I have never seen it .Sorry I do not have any more info on it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318948/fullcredits/

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1671 ]

Marieno
Jun-22-2015, 11:58 GMT
France

It is strange that nobody here (especially the american fans) has ever seen the whole interiew.
Thanks anyway, Brenda!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1668 ]

Kristin
Jun-22-2015, 21:52 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I remember seeing that interview! I think that is the entire segment with Paul -- I don't remember seeing more than what Brenda has shared. So, this was 1991 (he's nearly 50). I think he may have already begun dating Edie Brickell (her SNL appearance was 12/8/90)and they would marry in 1992.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1655 ]

Brenda
Jun-23-2015, 11:15 GMT
Australia

Thanks for the info Kristin . Much appreciated.

[Like] 1 Kristin Kristin
[Reply] - [Readers: 1648 ]

Marieno
Jun-23-2015, 16:27 GMT
France

Thank you Kristin. But by the way, the SNL show was the season 14 episode 4 show aired in november 5th 1988:

snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88d.phtml

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1638 ]

Kristin
Jun-24-2015, 20:30 GMT

The 1998 appearance was her first. I believe they met on her second appearance (with the Bohemians second album). She was the musical act and Paul was in the opening skit with the "Five Timers Club" (Host Tom Hanks).

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1609 ]

Michiel.
Jun-25-2015, 07:10 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Brenda, you are correct, I witnessed him saying that in Brussels :-). Bye the way, the interview is great.. i must admit I never saw it. But I remember Paul wear the same jacket as in the opening shot in a documentary where he is driving a car through Queens and telling on the experience in 1966 that Sounds of Silence became No 1. "those guys must be having so much fun". Is that not also part of the same episode? Probably not.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1605 ]

Brenda
Jun-25-2015, 07:18 GMT
Australia

Paul and Edie first met on SNL Nov 5 1988. Paul was not a guest. He said he went to see her perform and stood behind the cameraman. He then went to watch her at the Bottom Line Club in November. They went to a Japanese restaurant in between shows.(from Rolling Stone article} Edie sent a postcard to her friend dated Nov 18 1988 saying she had met Paul.The postcard on EBay a while back and I remember a photo of it was on the pictures section here at one time. Has anyone still got a copy of it ?
In 2011 Paul mentioned when performing at the Forest National in Brussels that he met his wife in the theater there 22 years ago.That would have made it 1989. Edie and New Bohemians were touring with Bob Dylan and played Brussels June 11 1989. Paul played Brussels on the Graceland Tour 14 June 1989.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/18/arts/pop-jazz-ed
ie-brickell-lighthearted-and-lyrical.html

[Like] 1 Marieno Marieno
[Reply] - [Readers: 1604 ]

Brenda
Jun-25-2015, 08:03 GMT
Australia

Sorry Michiel I was editing my post so your reply is coming before my comment! I think the clip used in the Ed Bradley segment was from a British documentary. Paul driving around his Old neighbourhood and talking about Elvis Presley and his grandma and also about listening to SOS on the radio. Probably 1988 and interviewer was Mark Steyn. I have it somewhere. Must look it up.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1603 ]

Marieno  
Jun-25-2015, 09:22 GMT
France

Brenda, you are a gossip girl!!! ;-)

But i am too: It was me who found the "famous" home made postcard sent by Edie to a friend! I posted the pic here but it disappeared after some technical problems. I don't have a copy but at time, we talked about it, especially about the meaning of the half legged man:

http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/showthread.php?thre
ad=2879&tside=1

I didn't know for the Brussels "meeting" (not the most romantic city in the worl! Sorry Belgians friends). But another clue that they were together before 1990 (once again, i love gossips!):
Edie said some years ago that her song "Strings of love" was about them. You can found this song one the second EB and the New Bohemians album Gost of A Dog released in fall 1990; the song is copyrighted in 1990 but Edie already sang it in concert(with few lyrics changes) in fall 1989, so...

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1603 ]

Kristin
Jun-29-2015, 18:21 GMT

I am so glad you all knew that -- I didn't!! I am going to look for that performance on you tube -- it would be great to see her "mess up" when she realizes Paul Simon is standing by the camera!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1533 ]

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread