www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePicture: I can not remember seeing that ever in my life before. Paul Simon - Number 1 (Ok, I am too

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo Malo
Apr-20-2015, 01:41 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I can not remember seeing that ever in my life before. Paul Simon - Number 1
(Ok, I am too young...)

Tell us: When have you seen album charts with Paul at number 1?

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] 3 Ans, Cécilia, Lara Ans, Cécilia, Lara
[Reply] - [Readers: 633 ]

Bodo
Apr-20-2015, 01:53 GMT

BTW:
Graceland is on 100
and S/G Best of is on 94

If you look trough the album charts, it seems like people are only buying old best of compilations and albums...Springsteen, Jackson, Queen, Bob Marley
(Queen or Bob Marley are back in the charts after 666 or more weeks...how many years are that LOL)

Paul Simon is #1 in the first week.
Must have had been many pre-orders this best of collection I guess, lets see where it is next week.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 632 ]

Håkan
Apr-20-2015, 11:30 GMT

Never even heard of the artists who are in place 2 - 4!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 616 ]

Simon
Apr-20-2015, 13:27 GMT
United Kingdom

I can remember Graceland in 1986 getting to No 1 in the UK Album Charts. There wasn't much initial expectation and then.........

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 612 ]

Richard USVI
Apr-20-2015, 14:49 GMT

This is great news! Just when we all felt that Paul was fading away in terms of his fan base, this is a nice thing to learn. Even if it is only for 1 week, I am still glad to see it. I think he may be more popular in the UK than in the US (at least outside of the New York area). I read somewhere that McCartney is more popular in the US than the UK, so this might be the reverse.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 609 ]

Simon
Apr-20-2015, 15:09 GMT
United Kingdom

We'll definitely swap McCartney for Paul Simon any day!

[Like] 1 Bodo Bodo
[Reply] - [Readers: 607 ]

Klausi
Apr-27-2015, 10:47 GMT
Germany

"Still crazy" was No.1 in the US in 1976, but Columbia never confirmed it as Platinum. Platinum Album sales above 1 Million were valid for the first time in 1977. Up to then Singles dominated the charts. It was at the time when Paul was in trouble with them after Clive Davis left the Company in favour of Walter Yetnikof, who was right from the beginning an enemy for him. His character was later described in the movie "One-trick Pony" as Boss of a record Company, his still quite attractive wife was in bed with Paul.

Anyway Paul left für Warner Brothers, a big mistake in my opinion.

He was No. 1 with "Paul Simon", "Graceland" and "Rhythm of the Saints" in the UK and with Graceland in several other countries.

The song "Bridge over troubled water" sold 8 Million Singles and certainly sold more than 50 Million times in the original version worldwide.

On Albums like Bridge and Greatest Hits amongst others.

Aretha Franklin had a Million-Seller with it too in the US and Elvis Presley sang it with Paul in the audience, also in a TV-Concert later.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 580 ]

Klausi
May-18-2015, 10:41 GMT
Germany

The UK was and is far more open for new sounds.

In the US there are Garth Brooks, Country-Fans, Soul, Blues and Gospel-Fans.

I am sad that B.B.King is dead. He was unique!

But with something real new like Graceland or Ska and Reggae or (good) New Wave they had problems.

Graceland was No. 1 in the UK within 3 weeks after it`s release and after complete absence from the charts for years.

It sold 2 Million in the UK compared to 5 Million in the US, most of them there after the Album of the year Award at the Grammies.

And what groups or single acts were popular worldwide coming from the UK, the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Rod Stewart, Elton John, David Bowie etc. I guess more than from America.

Of course everywhere are boygroups or Cliff Richards or Barry Many (lows) - Sorry for that.

Maybe Sting had realized this and lived in New York for so long, so long...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 449 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread