www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThis is really a nice interview!

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Michiel
Oct-23-2014, 00:51 GMT
Netherlands

Very nice and recent interview of Paul Simon, on ball game but also on various other topics. At the end of the interview he reveals his favourite 5 songs of him (at this moment), being Sounds Of Silence, The Boxer, Still Crazy After All These Years, Graceland and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Personally I enjoyed this interview very much, even more than the Graceland 25 years interview in Amsterdam where I was present. Maybe you've seen this recent interview already, if so sorry, if not, enjoy!

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 658 ]

Michiel
Oct-23-2014, 00:52 GMT
Netherlands

O sorry... i forgot the link. Here it is:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJBjjF3t2I

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 658 ]

Brenda
Oct-23-2014, 07:02 GMT
Australia

fantastic interview Michiel. One of his best. Thanks for posting. Interesting to know how Paul enjoyed watching Frank Sinatra perform and how he was not too keen on Elvis's take on BOTW. have read different reports on that so good to hear Paul's thought on it.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 644 ]

Michiel
Oct-23-2014, 09:19 GMT
Netherlands

thanks Brenda. I agree, it is a fantastic interview and indeed one of his best. It was shot in his suite in the Brill Building in NY. I was there in 2004, and visited in a nervous way his office. I also stood before the glass with all the grammy awards, lifetime achievement award etc. I was allowed to look around the office, as longe as I did not touch anything and taking photos was also forbidden. At the end they offered me a CD, but every CD they showed me I already got, until they found Songbook.
Indeed nice to hear he went to visit Frank Sinatra. if I understood him well, it must have been September 20, 1981, the day after the famous CP81. Also remarkable what he tells on Elvis.

[Like] 1 Kristin Kristin
[Reply] - [Readers: 643 ]

Michiel
Oct-23-2014, 11:34 GMT
Netherlands

Paul was exactly right on the date of Frank Sinatra at Carnegie Hall, here is the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frank-sinatra/1981/c
arnegie-hall-new-york-ny-43d2d3b3.html

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 639 ]

Kristin
Oct-23-2014, 15:54 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Did you notice they quote "A Heart in New York" the Garfunkel song in the opening?
Other than that, it's a great interview!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 622 ]

Michiel
Oct-23-2014, 17:07 GMT
Netherlands

I noticed already, and thought is was funny. Probably a mistake by the video editor to just pick that one song that was NOT written by Simon :-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 618 ]

Han
Oct-23-2014, 21:49 GMT
Netherlands

Very nice interview. But the voice over is inaccurate when mentioning 'My schoolgirl' instead of 'Hey schoolgirl'.
And about his best songs: I remember Paul telling some years ago that he thought his best song was Graceland with Bernadette being second best. Anyone else remembers this interview?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 604 ]

Brenda
Oct-24-2014, 00:56 GMT
Australia

Must have been a great experience to look around Paul's office Michiel! Did you ask beforehand or just get lucky when you turned up ?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 595 ]

Michiel
Oct-24-2014, 09:24 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Brenda, no I did not ask beforehand. I just went into the Brill Building, which by itself is very impressive also. Especially the entrance hall. Then took the elevator to Suite 500, which is Paul's. And then I stood for the door, with the glass at the left. This door is visible in the interview, at the background as Paul is watching the ball game stuff at the wall. And then I pressed the door bell. the door opened, and I was a kind of nervous. "Are you a fan" asked somebody from the left, a secretary. I was nervously answering that I was and that I came from Holland. And she told me that I was allowed to look around as long as I liked, as long as I did not touch anything and took no photographs. I did not dare to ask if Paul was in, I really did not dare. But I figured he was not, since he will be there not that often and I can't imagine that they led me in for such a long time if he was around. but off course, I'm not sure. The office indeed was impressive, as shown in the interview here, and the ladies there were very kind. As said, they want to give me somtehing, since I came all the way from Holland, and they had no signature stuff (I asked for that). So they gave me the CD. They very kinf of impresses by my story that I flew to Boston in December 2003 just to see Simon and Garfunkel. At that time it was not clear that there would be a Europe tour in 2004. Boston was my first time in America, and the night that I arrived Saddam Houssein was found in the hole in the ground. It was so special for me to see S&G in their homeland for the first time in my life. I had seen them seperately up till then, but never together. Boston is a nice place bye the way. I think I have some photographs shot at the Brill Building... Not sure if I can find them. Oh you would love to see his office Brenda. Holy ground for a big fan :-)

[Like] 1 Kristin Kristin
[Reply] - [Readers: 576 ]

Brenda
Oct-25-2014, 10:27 GMT
Australia

Thank you Michael for sharing that day. Must have taken a "lot of nerve" to front up and press the door bell! Most people I know who have visited the Brill Building say they could never get past the security guard at the entrance. What great memories you have. I sure would love to see Paul's office. It was awesome to see all the photos and memorabilia inn the clip. would love to see your photos if you can find them!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 501 ]

Michiel
Oct-25-2014, 14:53 GMT
Netherlands

Hi Brenda, I found the pictures as shot by me in 2004. See the pictures section. It shows the entrance hall of the Brill Building, the elevator and the office front door of Suite 500. I was surprised that I already had a digital camera in 2004, thought it was later....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 490 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread