www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePicture: Paul with Carole King ca. 1960.

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Klaus Thies
Oct-21-2014, 11:04 GMT
Germany

Paul with Carole King ca. 1960.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] 1 Ans Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 852 ]

Klausi
Oct-21-2014, 11:58 GMT
Germany

This picture and that with Neil Young and Tom Waits is from 2011 ("MOJO"). Paul said: "I met Carole in college. We were freshmen together. She left after a year, I think to marry Gerry Goffin. They got hired by a Publishing Company called Aldon Music, Al Nevins and Don Kirshner. Donny just passed away in January. Aldon had quite a talented roster including Goffin and King, Neil Sedaka , Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, but they didn`t want me. I couldn`t get in the door."

Thank god I guess.

About his trip to England he stated: "It was my first trip to Europe, so I figured I should start in Paris. It was a great kind of bohemian time, just busking by the Seine and taking it all in. While I was there I met a couple of English kids, one of whom was David McLausland, who ran a folk Club in Brentwood, Essex. He said I should stay with him if I came to England. Eventually I did, and his folks took me in like Family for 8 or 9 months.... I met Kathy when she was taking tickets on the door of David`s club, and it was love at first sight....

Second time I came to England I was living at Judith Piepe`s house in the East End. Sandy Denny was a nurse, but she wanted to be a singer. Judith has this great house and she would take in all kind of strays. Sandy was Jackson C. Frank`s girlfriend for a while. After that I moved into Martin Carthy`s old flat somewhere up near Hampstead. That was my favourite place I lived in London. When I made more money I moved to Old Brompton Road in Kensington, but I didn`t feel like I belonged there."

[Like] 2 Bodo, Ans Bodo, Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 848 ]

Ans
Oct-21-2014, 19:33 GMT
Netherlands

Great history lesson Klausi.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 827 ]

Klausi
Oct-22-2014, 15:26 GMT
Germany

Thank you!

One little - not important but maybe remarkable - story in this interview:

"Didn`t you have an impromptu jam with Jimi Hendrix", was the question. (At Monterey Festival 1967).

"I did. We were backstage. I remember Owsley (Stanley, underground purveyor of LSD to the stars) was there too. It was in the afternoon. Owsley said, "did you ever take acid?". -"No". - He asked, "Do you want some"? I said "OK". He gave me a handful, I didn`t pop them but Jimi took some.-

When considering how famous Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin or Jim Morrison still are, I prefer Paul staying alive though, as his best music definitely came out after the others were dead.

Perhaps it is another thing with Marylin Monroe, but she had other Qualities.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 805 ]

Bodo
Oct-26-2014, 13:37 GMT
Austria

I have hard times to imagine how Paul Simon and Jimi Hendrix jam together.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 737 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread