Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSeriously...

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Sep-18-2014, 10:51 GMT
Austria

As a fan I had the chance to see Paul Simon at many shows, and in the year 2002 I even followed his tour trough a few countries in central Europe.

It is sad to see how times change, for doing that today you better be a millionair. I was 23 and glad to live at that time and experience that. I will not visit any of those shows now, well, I have better things to do ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 562 ]

Brenda
Sep-18-2014, 13:41 GMT
Australia

You need to be a millionaire to see Paul Simon?? Don't agree Bodo!! If you are referring to Paul and Sting maybe more expensive than previous PS tours but two headliners and two bands and two sets of sound guys etc etc will obviously result in higher prices. And surely all those fans buying tickets cannot all be millionaires! But I guess that is your choice!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 555 ]

mog
Sep-18-2014, 13:44 GMT
Canada

Que pasa con Bodo ?

Why are saying one needs to be a millionaire ? No one is obliged to follow his tour in 5 cities across Europe.

?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 554 ]

Bodo  
Sep-18-2014, 15:09 GMT
Austria

maybe I sticked in the wrong crowd here.

Price for a good ticket now is 300 Euros, around 400 USD - for you all this seems to be a decent price, If I ask anyone else they just shake their head and think I talk about something going on on the moon. I feel happy that I have seen Paul many times, hopefully somewhen in the future one time again. (I just remembered how great that times where and that a young person today could not do that IMO)

I know it is because of Sting. But hey, be realistic - thats just not worth it. It is a half/half concert but you pay 3 times as much. When I am realistic i could have visited 2 paul Simon show and a Sting solo show for that money.
It is not the price of the band of course Brenda, I disagree, thats not how ticket prices are calculated.

But who am I to blow against the wind.
(thats what I am asking myself, haha),

My cousine, she is a huge Sting fan - hey, she and me together at that show, that would have been fun. But she is a realistic person too, and she can not afford that. Thats simply milking the last bit out of everyone. Thats my opinion - maybe I am the only one, but I will stand behind that.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 547 ]

Klausi
Sep-18-2014, 15:34 GMT
Germany

Just bought five tickets for Cologne, total price 590,- Euros.

Section B, A would be 960,- Euros, but why A? We will sit in the middle near the soundboard, it`s ok.

At ebay two tickets in the first row were gone at 600,- Euros immediately. Not for me!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 547 ]

Erwin
Sep-18-2014, 19:19 GMT
Netherlands

I have tickets for Antwerp and they are the cheapest seats. 70 Euro for 1 ticket. For that price i think my seats are really good at the left side from the stage. I will not pay 200 Euro for seats at the the middele in the front off the stage. I'm just happy to be there and to see them play! But i must say that 70 Euro really is the max for me to pay. But like i said, i'm happy to be there.... Follow those guys concert after concert, well we all can count and that is a lot off money......

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 536 ]

Erwin
Sep-18-2014, 19:29 GMT
Netherlands

Why does everybody wants to be at row 1? Don't get me wrong here. I know it is great, i was lucky enough to be at row 3 in the Ahoy Rotterdam during the you're the one tour in 2002. But what is wrong with spending less money, sitting at the back or in the middle of the venue? I know for sure that i'm still having a good time...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 535 ]

mog
Sep-18-2014, 21:44 GMT
Canada

My tickets in Montreal were about $100 CAN each. I was far from being in the front row. And so what ? I do not necessarily need to be in front. I mean they are not Beyonce.

And $100 for what I saw was fair I would say. Two legends, great catalogues, great bands and about 2 h 45 min of show.

But of course, now, you can all see that on YouTube.

The early 2000 were great for PS solo shows. His career went more discreet and we could get really good seats for cheap. I would show up at Ticketmaster when the sale would start and I would be the only one. There was a line for Coldplay, Radiohead, U2, etc., but for Paul Simon ?! You must be kidding.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 524 ]

Ans  
Sep-18-2014, 22:30 GMT
Netherlands

2008 was agood year for me, 2 shows at BAM in Brooklyn NYC and 3 shows in Europe. Had a great holiday in NYC and Washington. Travelling in Europe was not that expensive, tickets were much cheaper and had a great time standing in front of the stage.

But tickets overall got more expensive over the years. People are willing to pay these high prices. The concert in Amsterdam is almost sold out, only expensive packages left. Must say I am happy with my seats midfront row 5 for €125 but will not travel to other concerts in Europe. The extra fee of €10 per ticket is ridiculous and when you want your tickets by post you have to pay for that too.

Funny enough today Ticketmaster announced a show from Art Garfunkel. He will be in Haarlem (Netherlands) 10 days before Paul & Sting. Ticketprice between €50 and €60. Also a lot of money IMO.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 522 ]

Richard USVI
Sep-18-2014, 23:05 GMT
USA - United Staates America

That information about Art is sort of sad, to me. No doubt he knew that Paul and Sting were playing Europe, you would think he would have the good sense not to tour there around the same time. I don't think he needs the money. It is sort of as if Ringo toured around playing the same places McCartney played. (Obviously it would be smaller venues.) I just mean it seems like he is encouraging comparison, or perhaps hoping to cash in on some buzz about the PS/Sting tour.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 520 ]

Michiel
Sep-18-2014, 23:31 GMT
Netherlands

I agree with Bodo, and think also that the prices for a joint concert Simon Sting are far too high. I've seen Paul I think 7 or 8 times solo and 4 times together with Art. I'm a huge fan of Paul also, but to be honest the money for seeing a 73 year old Simon (who's ability to sing is of course not of the same quality as in his youngher days) is too much. And it's a principle, I can afford it but just think the price is out of range... Of course, anyone decides this for themselves. But I rather choose to remember the Simon of the past with better voice for 'normal' prices....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 515 ]

Matthew
Sep-19-2014, 00:17 GMT
United Kingdom

The prices may be too high for the people who cannot afford them or who don't want to go. However if enough people pay the money and they sell out, the prices must be about right.

I have bought 2 tickets for Birmingham LG Arena, 3 for Krakow Arena, Poland and I will buy O2 London tickets if extra dates are released.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 513 ]

Scaaty
Sep-19-2014, 00:23 GMT
Ireland

Paul's voice is as good - some might even say better - as it ever was!! The prices are pretty steep but in line with seeing two big names - I've got very good seats for €155 each not the dearest seats though. I could have got seats for 35€ - the venue they are playing in is not huge so those seats would ve been fine.
50 ways is being played on the radio as I write:)))

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 513 ]

Brenda
Sep-19-2014, 01:22 GMT
Australia

I agree Scaaty. Paul's voice is still very good! I think the ticket prices are pretty ok too. I paid $203 for Paul solo last year and the Sting / Simon Show is $249(both platinum seats.) I am happy to pay the extra to watch two great acts and two great bands! And a longer show. My seats for S and G in Sydney 2009 were as far away from the stage as you could get and yet I enjoyed every minute of it. I agree with Ans though that AG tickets are quite expensive for just Art and a guitarist. And no. Art would not need the money but I think he revels in the adoration he gets from his fans.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 509 ]

Michiel
Sep-19-2014, 08:29 GMT
Netherlands

Paul's voice is still good, I don't deny that, I'm just saying it is not as good as it was, but it is indeed still good. hey Scaaty, saying that his voice is better than in the past is somewhat strange. As a fan you should still try to listen in a realistic way and denial of ageing etc is not very realistic :-) .... Compare for instance his singing on Live 1969 and his singing on recent concerts. There is a clear difference in quality which is not strange given his age. The same discussion is on the voice of Leonard Cohen, but in his case his voice is really changing in characteristics, some say they like his voice better now since it is so much lower. In his case also I think his voice of Susanne sung in the seventies is far better than his lower voice of today. But as said, his case is somewhat different since the characteristics of his voice is changing, and Paul's voice is basically the same as it was

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 495 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread