Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineRights to use verse?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

The IT Guy
Apr-16-2014, 18:25 GMT
USA - United Staates America

How do I get permission to use a verse from Bridge over Troubled Water on my business card? "The time has come to shine..." describes how I design logos to help small businesses get off the ground.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 467 ]

Kristin
Apr-16-2014, 19:23 GMT

The line is actually, "Your time has come to shine."

Sorry, I am not sure how you would go about getting permission to use this phrase.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 464 ]

Bodo
Apr-21-2014, 18:28 GMT

To my knowledge:
A phrase alone has no copyright, it is the complete songtext.
(Remember Paul has taken the phrase "like a bridge over troubled waters" from a pastor/gospel pray...")

Also hundreds of companies have taken the "50 ways to xy" into their commercials.

The line "your time has come to shine" - I would bet my last shirt - is free of copyright, cause it has been written down in a hundred of other books...maybe you even find it in the bible.

If you want to be sure for 100% then first visit a lawyer specialized in copyright. Might not cost a fortune to talk to him for 15 minutes.

(small hint - this is a private run site and what you see on the top left is "We all will be recieved in Graceland". The text is there since 10 years now and I am sure Pauls manager has seen it...no problem).

Also this site is called The neck of my guitar, and once Paul was asked (by Barbara?) if he knows the site with that name. He answered he does not know the webpage, but he knows where that name comes from. He is not the guy jumping up and saying: Sue all of the people who are using a phrase I have written down - and you know why, because he can't be sure if it was his own idea or if he has heard or read the phrase just 20 years ago. Paul is a collector of ideas and sounds... and everything is about Mother and Child reunion....who/which was first? ;-)

(google where Mother and Child reunion comes from...)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 402 ]

Bodo
Apr-21-2014, 19:28 GMT

BTW: That is not true for a company slogan... but that is usually a registered trademark/slogan. You can search for those registered slogans in a internet database. And if you are doing business in the same category they can sue you. But that songlyric is for sure not registered.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 400 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread