Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineUnissued 1965 Song?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bert
Oct-30-2013, 16:50 GMT
United Kingdom

A 1965 track entitled "Build Your Love" is credited to M. Hawker & P. Simon on a UK release by a group ´Three Good Reasons´ see a photo here.

http://www.45cat.com/record/mf883

This is a Paul Simon song, right? Why is this song unknown & not as a bonus on the 1965 LP ´Paul Simon Songbook´ or any other!

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1203 ]

Bert
Oct-31-2013, 07:10 GMT
United Kingdom

no one knows anything?

M Hawker is UK songwriter Mike Hawker & there is a site that lists all the songs he wrote... except this one.

The Songbook LP recorded in UK in mid 1965, this must be a rejected track since lost??

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mike+Hawker?noanv=1

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1187 ]

Bodo
Oct-31-2013, 09:26 GMT
Austria

If Paul is only the co-composer, why should it be on a Paul Simon LP? He did not sing that song, he may never have recorded it.

Paul has written a few other songs for other artists.

But thanks for the info, I never heard about that song before.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 1186 ]

Bert
Nov-07-2013, 01:58 GMT
United Kingdom

Well thought you lot might know. Paul Simon is a singer-songwriter after all. He recorded the song as a home demo at the very least. The tape is either lost or hidden away or wanted to be kept quiet as PS had the PS Song Book LP withdrawn for a while. But "a copy of it" went to that group so they could record it... You heard the news here first...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1109 ]

Bodo
Nov-07-2013, 23:44 GMT
Austria

Very interesting story.
Is it possible to listen to the groups version of that song somewhere?

So, he might have recorded it (at home?), but I do not think there is any connection to the "PS Songbook" recording sessions. And, Paul is only the co-writer on it? I do not know many songs where Paul Simon is the co-writer, maybe his part wasn't that important, so he keeps beeing silent on it. I even would believe him if he says he forgot about that song. As he said a few times, in his early years he has written many many songs and gave them all away for a few dollars... (I guess none of them was a hit).

I don't know exactly if Paul has withdrawn the Songbook because he disliked it. Maybe it was more a deal with the "Simon and Garfunkel" career, so that the majority of the fans should believe really all the songs are true/only S&G songs, and not recycled older Paul Simon songs. Or maybe the recording label didn't want to have a solo version of those songs together with a S&G version...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1078 ]

Bert
Nov-12-2013, 16:54 GMT
United Kingdom

the song is in the vein of 'I Am a Rock', though the Three Good Reasons version is quite bland. The Mike Hawker credit may not be entirely correct though the publisher credit is Flamingo music related to the record company, not one of PS usual. Not findable online & the TGR 45 is rare. PS needs to be asked about this.

Lyrics: "You Gotta, ooh, Build Your Love, Baby, Build Your Love, You Gotta Build Your Love On A Firm Foundation, Strong Enough To Resist Tempation, Build Your Love Until It's Standing High. You Can Build A House Out Of Bricks And Wood" are the early lyrics. Not the old Johnnie Ray song for sure.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1050 ]

Petrsharks
Nov-12-2013, 20:46 GMT
United Kingdom

Hello, I don't think that Paul ever recorded this particular song as back in 1965 he didn't had that much money to record home as he does now. If I am correct, he even had only money to pay 1 hour to record Songbook in London as it was too expensive. Ha sang most songs without long delays between them.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1044 ]

Petrsharks
Nov-12-2013, 20:50 GMT
United Kingdom

I just checked wiki and it says that he recorded it for several days, so I might be wrong :)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1043 ]

Bert
Nov-13-2013, 14:46 GMT
United Kingdom

a singer-songwriter would have had an open reel tape recorder & a mic to do home demos, to not need to pay for studio time. else how did this song get a cover version & issued? maybe PS is unaware it was covered but sold zero. the man himself may remember

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1029 ]

Bodo
Nov-13-2013, 15:17 GMT
Austria

As I said - Paul said he wrote xxx(hundred?) of songs and gave them away to other musicians for a few bucks. Normaly they would not have mentioned him...or only under pseudonym.

If he recorded it only at home on his tape recorder, who knows... "I can write another one" - that was Pauls answer. (and sorry to say that: thats how those songs sound like)

If I have to judge - alone from the lyrics - it sounds like one of those simple Tom and Jerry songs...

You think it is hiding somewhere in Pauls treasure case to be released in the future? I don't believe so. There have been around 4-5 different "early works" discs around with all of those songs, so I guess there is really everything on it which Paul ever recorded with studio equipment.

If he wrote it he will surely remember, but I am sure he is not proud of it today. He really dislikes a lot of the simple S&G songs, so I assume he is ashamed by 99% of the Jerry Landis..Tico...a.s.o. things. And those are many. I think I have about 40-50 and I can not differ between them :-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1027 ]

Bodo
Nov-13-2013, 15:17 GMT
Austria

BTW: It sounds more like a 1956-1958 song...

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1027 ]

Bert
Nov-14-2013, 16:20 GMT
United Kingdom

not that early, it's a folk pop song as the other Three Good Reasons 45s are, they did a version of Nowhere Man & got a UK hit with it. This was their debut 45 but their 45s aren't much. well it got me wondering as it was undocumented as a PS song & as PS doesn't like this era. I like the solo versions of Rock & Leaves better than the S&G ones. one day his recording may emerge! perhaps PS would pay to keep it quiet? :o)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 981 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread