www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlinePaul touring with Sting in 2014?

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo  
Jul-17-2013, 09:37 GMT
Austria

A usually very well informed source brought to our eyes that the ´guest´ on Paul Simons next tour is Sting.

Paul recently appeared as a guest on a Sting concert and they sang each others songs. Sting was joking that they are forming a new band named ´Simon and Stingfunkel´
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKxYSjRqA4A

While until that recent appearance most of us had no idea of a Simon-Sting connection I remember one story. Both artists had the same yoga teach 10-15 years ago (maybe till today?) - and both appeared on tracks of the yoga teachers album River Of The Soul. His name is Danny Paradise

So what can we expect from that tour? Personally I doubt that Sting will only be a guest for two or 3 songs, it might be a 2-headliner tour, each of them playing their own set and a shared set in the middle (like the Bob-Paul tour in 1999).

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2382 ]

Erwin
Jul-17-2013, 12:11 GMT
Netherlands

If this is true i will be there!!! They probably will do a big tour. It is not that strange for two big artists to go on tour together. Paul has gone on tour with Bob Dylan.
Bob also did a big tour with Mark Knopfler.
Eric Clapton has done several tours with other artists.
Paul Simon and Sting... Count me in!!!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2378 ]

Bodo
Jul-17-2013, 12:43 GMT
Austria

You are right Erwin, it is very common these days.
I think the Bob/Paul tour was great and worked well, the Paul/Brian tour was somehow strange as Brian was only a opener for Paul.

If they come to central Europe...why not ;-)
Anyway, next year I hope I am in the USA (if I am welcome there)

What I always wondered is - do they (the musicians) agree on having only half of the income then? A ticket for a double show costs the same as for a one-man-show, so they must agree on that.

A risk is of course, that Sting has a much more active fanbase (I believe so) and they get all the good tickets and front row seats ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2376 ]

Kuno
Jul-17-2013, 13:56 GMT
Switzerland

Seats? Really, Bodo? :o)

I don't like Sting! I mean, I am sure he's a "good guy" but I just don't like his music. Nevertheless I would definitely visit the Simon & Sting tour, and maybe my opinion regarding Stings music will change.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2365 ]

Bodo
Jul-17-2013, 15:28 GMT
Austria

I have no clue about the seats. But anyway, I would also expect that the Sting fans wait longer outside the stadion ;-)

I can't say nor or yes to Sting. I liked "The Police" and some of Stings solo stuff (have no clue what he has done in the last 15 years), but I guess I would have never made it to a concert. So...well he is a welcome extra. Ah, I once say a Sting concert on TV, he had a big symphony orchestra with him - I was not that much impressed by that show. But I would love to hear songs like Roxanne, De do do do de da da da... Fragile, Englishman in NY, Message in a bottle.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2358 ]

Erwin
Jul-17-2013, 20:30 GMT
Netherlands

I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler and i know when he went on tour with Bob Dylan in Europe in 2011 Knopfler was the opener for Dylan. Knopfler played for 70 min and he did not played his biggest hits, perhaps 2 or 3 classic ones. After the break Bob took the stage for about 90 min and played his set. Sometimes with Knopfler playing guitar on some songs.... I have a feeling that this is not the way it is going to be with Paul and Sting.
I think they will both play a solo set of 60 min max and a few songs together on stage.
And for the seats.... i reallu do not know. With Dylan/Knopfler it was Dylans tour. His crew, management and so on. No presales for Knopfler fans as it was not his tour....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2337 ]

Bodo
Jul-18-2013, 08:43 GMT
Austria

Uh..I think as a Mark Knopfler fan I wouldn't have liked that a lot. And I prefer Knopfer over Dylan.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2316 ]

Erwin
Jul-18-2013, 15:03 GMT
Netherlands

Knopfler has been a big fan off Dylan and he respect that man a lot! For me more than 1 hour listening to him was more than enough!!!
Still makes me wonder how this possible Sting PS tour will be worked out.....

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2304 ]

matthew
Jul-20-2013, 23:37 GMT
United Kingdom

There two types of these tours. The Knopfler/Dylan tour sounded like Knopfler was just a support act. The good thing about that is that I could have gone home at the interval safe in the knowledge that I wasn't going to miss anything.

With that Paul/Bob tour, it was a double-header (remember the two trains poster). They took it in turns to go first. And apparently when they got to NYC and played Madison Square Garden, Paul went on last and totally upstaged Dylan.

I reckon if this Sting tour goes ahead it will be a double-header. I hope the tour comes to the UK.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2230 ]

Klausi
Jul-23-2013, 09:02 GMT
Germany

Paul gave away his song "Ten Years" to support Sting`s rainforest activities. In fact you don`t find it in Simon-collections.

I watched Sting about 1990 and was negatively surprised, that the lyrics of his songs were always before him on a monitor. We sat behind him, the indoor place was clearly oversold. Mostly young girls.

Every 5 minutes a girl out of the crowd got a faint and was handed over to the security guards by the rest of the crowd over their heads! No help could come directly to them.

But I like some of his music from the 80`s very much.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 2161 ]

Bodo
Jul-24-2013, 12:51 GMT
Austria

I guess the girls at Stings concerts are grown up now.

[Like] 1 Suer Suer
[Reply] - [Readers: 2116 ]

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread