Bottom

HeadlineHe certainly is rich?

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Apr-15-2013, 08:39 GMT
Austria

>> And you can't take it with you....

Well, I guess Artie tried to smoke away a lot of it.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1257 ]

Bodo
Jul-22-2017, 09:43 GMT
Austria

Bringin up that older topic: I am just surprised how rich Paul McCartney is (1.2 Billions), compared to Paul (around 45-55 Mio).
Paul is not even on any top list, while musicians like James Taylor are on them.
(Comparing the famous songs between JAmes Taylor and S&G I would definately say S&G win)

But why on earth is Paul McCartney so rich - considering he had to share the money with 4 guys, has shared songwritting credits with Lennon - and last, they did not own his own Beatles songs catalogue for a long time.

Today most of those hip-hop stars are listed with a neth worth of 100 to 800 mio$. And Paul, after 60 years in business and having a real famous catalogue, is not even close to that list.

Is it maybe a simple answer: Paul Simon keeps a low profile and does not talk about money? So they have no idea about his income?

This guy, I do not know him BTW, is just the drummer of the band "Pish" (never heard), and it is said he wrote 7 of their songs.
http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/musi
cian/jon-fishman-net-worth/

He earned much more money than Paul Simon by beeing a bands drummer and writting 7 of their songs? Eh...

On this list, Simon and Garfunkel are listed on pos 30. selling a 105 Mio albums (most songs written by Paul alone). That is maybe 2/3 of his career sales.

Queen sold 170 Mio albums, and they did not tour after 1986, and every of their 4 members estate is worth a 170 Mio USD. So they earned a 500 Mio easely.

So where is Pauls money? Did S&G have a really bad deal?

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1007 ]

Brenda
Jul-22-2017, 13:53 GMT
Australia

To be honest Bodo I don't know how anyone knows how much money and assets Paul or anyone else has has unless they have complete access to his financial records which, except maybe for his financial advisors ,is not very likely. Even then assets can also be in trust accounts for family members. .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 991 ]

Brenda
Jul-22-2017, 13:57 GMT
Australia

Paul still has three homes but that is about all we do know .

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 989 ]

Håkan
Jul-24-2017, 09:59 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I can see some reasons for Paul McCartney being a lot wealthier than Paul Simon (which I believe he was already in the 1980's when I read that he was the richest popstar in the world).

1. He has toured a lot more than Simon over the years. Lot of money in touring.
2. He has recorded many more albums
3. He has written many more songs
4. He was a major part of the most popular pop group of all times with much more radio play than S&G

From what I know, Paul didn't "share" much money with Ringo & George. The main income came from songwriting and album/single sales then, so McCartney and Lennon earned the most from being the most prolific song writers.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 910 ]

Håkan
Jul-24-2017, 13:05 GMT
USA - United Staates America

One other factor is of course also how much of the money they earn that they spend.
And also how well they manage to invest the money in other (un)profitable things.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 897 ]

Klausi
Jul-27-2017, 20:40 GMT
Germany

"I am just a poor boy".

"I was left without a penny in my pocket".

"The broker informed I`m broke".

"We are working our jobs, collect our pay".

"Although most of the time it`s just hard working, day after day, year after year".---

In fact his song catalogue, of which he always kept ownership is one of the most valuable worldwide.

He was always considered as one of the richest guys in pop-music.

[Like] 1 Håkan Håkan
[Reply] - [Readers: 794 ]

Bodo
Jul-29-2017, 09:47 GMT
Austria

Hi Klausi

Yeah, I would think so, that his song catalogue must be worth a lot.

I would think that the most valuabe thing is a song that is covered very often, because then your income is really multiplied by doing just nothing. And thats why McCartney is so rich, as many Beatles songs are covered a 100 times.

This is a nice website:

https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/94
https://secondhandsongs.com/work/623/versions#nav-
entity

322 bridge
154 sos
57 Boxer
40 Still crazy
107 Mrs. Robinson
45 times Cecilia
79 59th bridge
53 50 ways
33 I am a rock
102 Scarborough Fair
22 American Tune

The top most covered song is Yesterday by the Beatles, but only 550 versions are listed there... Over the Rainbow is the top 9th song in number of covers (699 on that website are listed..)

I would either say Pauls wealth is not listed correct, or..as Klausi suggested, the broker informed him he's broke.

[Like] 1 Brenda Brenda
[Reply] - [Readers: 764 ]

Bodo
Jul-29-2017, 09:59 GMT
Austria

none of the Graceland songs is covered a lot.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 763 ]

Brenda
Jul-31-2017, 08:09 GMT
Australia

But he got another call from the broker. He was mistaken ! As writer and publisher Paul would have made a few dollars from Disturbed "Sound of Silence " being certified double platinum.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 699 ]

Bodo
Jul-31-2017, 22:20 GMT
Austria

Btw, Ringo Star is very rich, usually He is listed with around 200 to 250 millions. Thats again 5 times as much as Simon.
But did He Tour a lot, write a lot of Songs, famous Solo Albums? I still have a feeling they underestimate Paul Simon.... ;-)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 650 ]

Brenda
Aug-01-2017, 02:28 GMT
Australia

Agree on that one !

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 642 ]

Klausi
Aug-02-2017, 19:38 GMT
Germany

I guess Paul Simon is glad to be underestimated financially.

Apart from the fact, which already was mentioned here that an important question is, what did you do with your money, in which things have you invested, I appreciate his return to play smaller venues three times instead of one bigger place and also very small places.

He never played Las Vegas as Elton John or this Lady with the song in the movie Titanic. This is the easiest way to earn much money with high guaranteed payments at reduced costs. No transport and always a full house of people who usually have more money than others and high ticket prices.

And he refused two times to play Sun City when the cultural boycott in SA was valid. Unfortunately today the number of crimes there is as big as ever.

[Like] 1 Ans Ans
[Reply] - [Readers: 586 ]

Ans
Aug-03-2017, 09:18 GMT
Netherlands

I agree with you Klausi.

He was always involved in doing good deeds for humanity, CHF and many more. He played a lot of Benefit concerts.

The profits of his last tour are for the project of Half-Earth.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 561 ]

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread