www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineSome more Simon-bashing, on this page(!?)

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo
Jul-26-2012, 08:49 GMT
Austria

A somehow strange concert review from Oslo.
It is hard to understand why people go to a concert called ´25th cellebration of Graceland´, which promises to play the whole Graceland album, and then are surprised that bands like LBM or Hugh Masekela have a short set of 2 songs both.
http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/showreview.php?id_c
oncert=1220

Paal I am really sorry you expected a Simon and Garfunkel show and got ´political shouting´ by Hugh Masekela and strange african singin. But anyway, that was it what the concert advertisement said and the show was named. Are you going to AC/DC concerts and want to hear some ballads?

The 25th Graceland show is higly appreciated all over the places where Paul played, in fact I would say that in London, where an audience of 50.000 came to see Paul and the backstage area was packed with other stars, was another highlight of his career.

Hugh Masekela is one of the best jazz musicians on that planet. If you are not open to jazz this might freak you, but he is one of the guys who can get your attention alone with his voice and great trumpet playing. For me he was the highlight of the concerts. I showed videos of Hugh Masekela to friends at home and they shared the same feelings, you hang on his lips and he captures your whole attention.

Sorry that you went to the wrong concert. You might have realized that you are the only one leaving the concert before.

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 321 ]

Bjoern
Jul-26-2012, 11:18 GMT
Germany

Dito!!

Brenda
Jul-26-2012, 13:53 GMT
Australia

Well said Bodo. Is this guy for real? He does not seem to to care for African musicians or singers and yet goes to a Graceland Concert!

Scaaty  
Jul-26-2012, 15:06 GMT
Ireland

What a review! when I went to the first graceland concerts the people with me said the same kind of things!! After 25 years nothing is different everything changes.

Bodo
Jul-26-2012, 16:16 GMT
Austria

What I really find strange is that people often expect their star to sign everything. 1 thing is enough, don't nerv him.

The german writer and humorist Max Goldt has a nice story to tell, where a not very sporty fan asks him to sign onto his belly. He did so, but in the end he had the joke on his side and the person might not have been that happy with the signature.

Mimi
Jul-26-2012, 16:54 GMT
Austria

This is a troll.

If not, than I question his IQ for calling himself a die-hard fan and acting so stupid.

Tor
Jul-26-2012, 20:36 GMT
Norway

This is a troll or a backseat-driver, and nothing to bother. I wrote an answer to his review in norwegian just to tell how stupid this is. All the 7.000 in the audience and also every major newspaper seemed overwhelmed with the show. He calls himself a die-hard fan, and then it seems strange that he goes to the concert totally unprepared of what this is about.

Matthew
Jul-27-2012, 08:05 GMT
United Kingdom

The show is a 25th Anniversary celebration of the Graceland tour not just the album. Bearing that in mind, it is very close to the original setlist. Has this 'die-hard' fan never seen Graceland: The African Concert?

Anyhow at Hyde Park, Paul Simon performed on 27 out of 33 songs. He did not give up the stage for an hour at any point in the set. Presuming that Jimmy Cliff was not this Oslo show, I would have thought that there were even less songs that Paul did not perform on.

Very odd - if you don't like Graceland and think that it is overrated because you're stuck in 1976, why bother attending a celebration of that music?

Julie
Jul-27-2012, 08:17 GMT
United Kingdom

Judging from the reviewers profile on the fan data base he appears to be a Simon and Garfunkel fan rather than a Paul Simon solo fan. I suspect that he hasn't kept up to date on the recent stuff and just presumed it would be a concert full of old S/G songs hence the disappointment.

Bodo
Jul-27-2012, 08:59 GMT
Austria

You are right Julie. I pressumed the same.
Anyway - he should have realized (I guess it is also written on the ticket) that it is a Graceland celebration show, even including the original band.

As a die-hard fan some might think he would have the only DVD released in that aera - The African concert.

Lara
Jul-27-2012, 15:57 GMT
Italy

I don't want to be boring repeating what you all have already said perfectly. Just unbelievable!:(

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 320 ]

Klausi
Jul-31-2012, 08:24 GMT
Germany

In the documentary Paul Simon said to the same event everybody`s opinion is different. But not sooo different.

The album is No. 27 in Norway and remains 4 in Netherlands, where I saw him in a sold out show, 16.000, many young people, great response and critics.

At the original Graceland-shows in 1987 and 1989 I saw a FEW people who expected more Simon and S&G. But really not this time.

Elvie
Aug-02-2012, 21:44 GMT
Netherlands

why spend more time to Paal? I think he only registred on july 25 on this FAN site to write the review. It would be a suprise for me if he gave a reaction on this site. I don't think he does. He will read the replies and laughs! Problably he's just a poor boy. . .

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread