www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineThe myth about the myth of fingerprints is all around the world: Why Paul never plays that song?

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Brenda
Jul-24-2012, 11:26 GMT
Australia

Thanks Matthew for the You Tube link. Contradicts everything Steve Berlin says about them not being a band that jams. {Is there such a band?} They go into the studio with nothing . do not rehearse, and just look at each other and in a day or two hopefully they have something! I know whose version of MOFP I believe. Paul may have his faults,as do we all, but I have never doubted his honesty for one moment.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 906 ]

DannyJ  
Jul-24-2012, 12:28 GMT
United Kingdom

Berlin has been mouthing off about this again, as recently as yesterday it would seem!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/los-lobos-steve-ber
lin-labels-paul-simon-a-jerk-alleges-graceland-snu
b/

He really needs to get a grip...

Bodo
Jul-24-2012, 12:39 GMT
Austria

Hi Danny - no thats just a blog which made a new story out of the first pages interview, but without any reflection or background information.

Bodo
Jul-24-2012, 12:40 GMT
Austria

What makes me upset is how fast people going to take this story as the only truth and say "Yeah Paul is a jerk"

Bashing is seriously dangerous on the internet with those many one-minded people.

DannyJ
Jul-24-2012, 12:49 GMT
United Kingdom

Thanks for the update Bodo - PS is highly respected, if misunderstood - and it may be best of we ignore the bashing from now on, given that we know it to be largely false.

Well done for sticking up for our hero on that site though!

Mimi
Jul-24-2012, 13:59 GMT
Austria

@Bodo. I think that is a general problem that people are wlling to believe everything they read in the internet or in the papers. And honestly I do the same when I read bad stories about people I don´t like that much. It would often be wise to question these stories more or try to find out, how the other side sees the problem.

But research and trying to analyse a story from more than one side is not a thing that writers today are doing very often. Maybe not many people are willing to listen to the whole story. It is much easier to sell a story that is full of hate or full of praise than a balanced one.

Wim
Jul-24-2012, 14:36 GMT
Netherlands

Ehh, Paul is an excellent guitar player.

Bodo
Jul-26-2012, 10:44 GMT
Austria

Now the internet has been flooded by that 1-sided article.
https://http://www.google.at/search?sourceid=chrom
e&ie=UTF-8&q=Steve+Berlin+Paul+Simon

It looks like Steve Berlin has a serious problem. What is it with that guy?

Scaaty  
Jul-26-2012, 15:11 GMT
Ireland

....And so the question that started this thread is answered!!

Bodo
Jul-26-2012, 16:36 GMT
Austria

I will stop reading now other pages and forums about that issue.

It is really extreme. Bashing is the easiest form of entertainment now and people seem to believe everything they read.

On another forum there was a comment where someone wrote that Paul also has stolen YCCMA from Bakithi, he has Bakithis CD 'This is me' and the Track Talago sounds the same -> There is only one small problem: Bakithi has released that CD in 2005.
It is unbelievable what kind of stupid things people write. The next one will believe it immediately and says: I knew it!

It seems to be a truth out there that Art Garfunkel wrote the 3th verse of Bridge. People just mess around with half truth and the other half complete wrong facts and build their own truth. Art just had the idea that the song could need a 3th verse. He did NOT write it. For those Simon bashers it is a fact: Art Garfunkel wrote that line. Now who is the Silver Girl?
Paul Simon: It was about Peggy, whom I was living with at the time: "Sail on, silver girl ... / Your time has come to shine" was half a joke, because she was upset one day when she had found two or three gray hairs on her head”.

People still arguing that Paul Simon is a &*$%§ because he erased Art Garfunkels voice from H&B. He had ALL rights to do that. It is his music.

There are people out there arguing, that Paul is a jerk because he (just an example) hired a musician for playing synthesizers on 'The late great Johnny Ace' and later he did not use that sound and erased it from the recording.
Oh world out there, wake up - it is perfectly fine to decide what you want on your recording and what you do not like.

People bring up the Bette Midler story. Now who can say that Bette Midler has a better voice than Phoebe Snow?
It is very confusing what people bring up as arguments. If I would record a song and then I do not like to have Bette Midler on it, then I would erase her too. Either you have your own vision and make the best possible song, or you please everyone and say to people who can not sing well :"Thats fine, no problem, people will say the recording is horrible but hey, you are my friend"

It is freaking what stories are comming up, all for 100% wrong or just stupid.

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 904 ]

Bodo
Jul-26-2012, 16:40 GMT
Austria

Oh, and Steve Berlin is really a malignat agitator - on two other forums I found postings by HIM. Yes, he signed up there to join the Paul Simon discussion and heaten up the atmosphere a little bit.

You might really wonder what is wrong with Steve Berlin. A musician who has nothing better to do today than post on internet forums about how much he hates another person? Poor boy. Seems he is out of the business and has nothing to loose.

Phil
Jul-26-2012, 17:28 GMT
USA - United Staates America

This is what I posted on the 'classic rock' blog. Bodo also jumped into the discussion . . .

this is a) old and b) has been pretty much been discredited - as LL never mentioned or made it an issue until long after the album was released and became the international phenomenon it became. I believe that Simon is very exact and particular over who gets credit for what. he may not be loose and overly generous , but he does give due when deserved - as was the case throughout Graceland.

Musicians who work with Simon are in awe of him. He is a generous collaborator, which I'm sure, at times, makes song credits a bit dicey.

He was standing around clueless?? Really? Why does Berlin keep this going?? It puts him in the news; the best a one-hit wonder can hope for.

Wim
Jul-26-2012, 19:29 GMT
Netherlands

I have a little book here about secret messages in pop music and so on. It's the strong believe of the writer that the 'silver girl' is an ode to the needle (drugs).
People want to believe urban legends. The truth is not good enough. Or as we sometimes say at my newspaper (joking!): don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

DannyJ  
Jul-26-2012, 19:38 GMT
United Kingdom

People also say the Diamonds in are a reference to South African Diamond mines or something along those lines... Some people have some sunny ideas...

Michiel
Oct-25-2016, 00:09 GMT
Netherlands

I really do not want to restart this discission again, but the recent biography written by Peter Ames Carlin, who has intensively studied Simon's life for years, also suggests that there are various examples of copy right issues throughout his career. So this places the Los Lobos story not necessarily in the catagory of untrue stories. Did anyone have the chance to read this book (Homeward Bound) already? I'm curious if it's a good book... it probably is. It certainly has a large amount of investigated details... I guess

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 526 ]

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread