Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineGraceland Album Charting in the UK

Page: [1] [2]

AuthorComment

Matthew
Jul-20-2012, 22:13 GMT
United Kingdom

And Slip Slidin' Away was played on 'Homes Under The Hammer' on Tuesday. Plus... when Paul Simon was playing Hyde Park, 'Maid In Manhattan' was being shown on TV at the same time. That film has two Paul Simon songs in it. Imagine the royalties that he's had this week plus ticket sales from the concerts and the sales of the 25th Anniversary CDs/DVDs!

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 421 ]

SueR
Jul-20-2012, 22:25 GMT
United Kingdom

Yes, I heard that too Scaaty, strange to hear it in The Rovers!

Klausi
Jul-23-2012, 08:52 GMT
Germany

UK 4
Sweden 39
Norway 27
Netherlands 4 (!)
Ireland 4
Belgium 56

Ans
Jul-23-2012, 09:42 GMT
Netherlands

"Netherlands 4 (!)"

That's a big jump :) If they would have shown Under African Skies sooner maybe they could have sold out Ziggodome twice, heard that after the Film was shown on TV the phone was ringing off the hook at Ziggodome if there were still tickets available. But now we had the Film and Aftertalk in our most wonderful theatre :)

Klausi
Jul-23-2012, 11:19 GMT
Germany

Hi Ans, Paul Simon - a great musician surrounded by great bands and maybe the worst promoters on earth.

In July 2008 he played Cologne one day before Brussels at 75 Euro/ticket compared to about 55 in Brussels. The result was a crowd of about 1.600 people instead of 16.000 now in Amsterdam. And for Amsterdam they reduced the ticket prices after a couple of weeks.

Matthew  
Jul-23-2012, 16:57 GMT
United Kingdom

The Hyde Park concert attracted about 50,000 people according to some reports even though tickets were £61 which is 78 Euros. I think this good attendance (despite the high price) was down to several factors:

1. Hard Rock Calling was well promoted by the festival organisers
2. Bruce Springsteen sold out weeks ago, prompting people to get a ticket for Paul Simon instead.
3. The BBC showed and well-adertised 'Under African Skies' earlier in July.
4. Paul Simon is very popular in the UK

In the UK the album has gone from 6 down to 8 and now up to 4. This is the highest ranking since the original release. This must also be linked to the many favourable reviews that have appeared in the press after the concert - four and five star reviews in all our national papers.

DannyJ  
Jul-23-2012, 18:52 GMT
United Kingdom

Hi Matthew - I saw an advert for the remastered Graceland on the TV the other night. It's great to see a 26 year old album being promoted on prime time. Hopefully it reminded people of that album they knew and loved, but has since become lost in that box of vinyl in the loft, and are re-discovering it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLum50Ef6o

Klausi
Jul-23-2012, 20:46 GMT
Germany

Yes Matthew and DannyJ, let`s hope he will bring the show to the US too so the album could enter the charts there again. Currently it is not even in the Top 200.

My impression in Amsterdam was I never saw so much young people at one of his shows.

Page: [1] [2]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread