www.paul-simon.info 
The neck of my Guitar

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineVideo: Jerry Douglas - The Boxer (feat. Mumford & Sons and Paul Simon)

Page: [1]

AuthorComment

Bodo Malo
Jul-04-2012, 20:48 GMT
Austria

Track 4 from Jerry Douglas´ new album "Traveler". Mr. Douglas toured together with Paul Simon since several years now. On The Boxer Jerry usually joined Paul on stage. This is a cover version by Mr. Douglas featuring Paul Simon.

Video link:Video: Jerry Douglas - The Boxer (feat. Mumford & Sons and Paul Simon)

Use SEND to share on Facebook or A.M.P.S

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 1812 ]

Ans
Jul-04-2012, 21:40 GMT
Netherlands

Great version of this song, here is a part of the Q&A from American Songwriter Magazine with Jerry Douglas about his new album. The whole interview is here:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/06/hard-tra
velin-a-qa-with-jerry-douglas/

JD:"Marcus and I were talking about songs to do, and they wanted to do “The Boxer.” I said, “I think Paul Simon’s gonna do ‘The Boxer.’” They didn’t want to mess with that, and then I started thinking about it — I realized, you know, it’s crazy for me to ask Paul to do “The Boxer.” How many times does he have to sing that? He’s done it once and that’s enough. He can’t top what he’s already done. So I went back to Marcus and said yes, we should absolutely do “The Boxer,” so we went into the studio, and I realized he’d learned it from Emmylou Harris’s version — which I didn’t play on, but I had been in the studio with her on the sessions for that album.

And then I played it for Paul, and he said “Oh, man — I want to be on that.” So we did it with him anyway. [Laughs] He did a ton of stuff that’s just mixed deep in there. Rhythm guitar, tons of stuff that’s on the backbeat against my solo, big bells — some really high harmony vocals. He had the greatest time, he spent the whole day going until we made him quit. It was beautiful, and it all just kind of fell together like that."

Bodo
Jul-05-2012, 08:14 GMT
Austria

Thats really good to know, because I was wondering what Paul really did on that song ;-) You know, on his other collaborations I either recognize his guitar playing style or his background voice immediately, there it was much more hidden to my ears.

Brenda
Jul-05-2012, 10:19 GMT
Australia

It is a great track. I am going to order the cd. Paul is really enjoying making music! loved where Jerry said Paul played all day and they had to get him to stop !

Brenda
Jul-05-2012, 10:25 GMT
Australia

Excerpt from an article in the Sydney Herald Yesterday
"''By the time we got to the other side of the Thames I'd decided I was cutting The Boxer with Marcus. He delivered. The whole band delivered … then I brought it back and Paul Simon heard it and said 'I love that. I want to be on that, too.' So we took it up to Connecticut and Paul played bells, guitars and sang wild parts. It's just Paul Simon and me at the end.''

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/with-a-l
ittle-help-from-his-friends-20120703-21fcz.html

Page: [1]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread