Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineLive rhymin´ on dvd!

Page: [1] [2] [3]

AuthorComment

Mike
Nov-17-2010, 19:30 GMT
USA - United Staates America

You know what I´d Love to see is an official release of one of the NYC 1993 concerts on CD and DVD. Simon and Garfunkel, Paul solo, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Phoebe Snow and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, it would appeal to even the casual fan.
As long as we´re getting CP ´91 and Live Rhymin´ on DVD I figured I might as well get greedy. :)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 330 ]

Scaaty  
Nov-18-2010, 02:16 GMT
Ireland

To wear that suit youd need to be taking something:)

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 329 ]

Jon
Nov-18-2010, 02:40 GMT
Unknown

That´s interesting -- the Sounds Of Silence video clip and the audio from Live Rhymin´ are different. So I´m guessing if we do get a release, it won´t be the Live Rhymin´ concert from Notre Dame, which was where the original LP was recorded.

Ian
Nov-18-2010, 04:19 GMT

Jon,I always thought the Live Rhymin´ album was culled from several shows on the 1973 US tour. You can hear in some places,the audience sounds very intimate-Duncan and The Boxer for example,compared to Loves Me Like A Rock which sounds like a larger audience to me.

Forum guest
Nov-18-2010, 11:12 GMT
United Kingdom

Nick from Widnes England writes:

I have the original Live Rhymin´ vinyl album. On the end of the concert performance Paul thanks the audience and said something on the lines of "I wish I could do more for you" In reply an audience member shouts out" Buy us a drink"

In response to this I believe one of the Paul Simon Simon and Garfunkel Biographies quotes this and in response Paul Simon put money behind the venues bar for the audience to indeed have a drink.

Hm interesting footnote .

Jon
Nov-18-2010, 22:50 GMT
Unknown

I´m rather sure the entire album was recorded at the Notre Dame Athletic and Convocation Center in South Bend, Indiana. The sound difference I think is because some songs were more upbeat (and as a result included audience clapping) than others.

Ian
Nov-19-2010, 00:28 GMT

Yeah,that story is true,but it it was at the Hammersmith Odeon on the One-Trick Pony tour. After Paul said ´I wish there was something I could do to thank you´ to the audience,some guy yelled back ´Buy us a drink then´ which Paul did. What a classic!

DannyJ  
Nov-19-2010, 14:23 GMT
United Kingdom

Live Rhymin´ on DVD - That would be simply awesome!

I understood that most of the tour was recorded in one capacity or another, but that most of the takes were´t good enough for the overly critical PS! The version of Duncan recorded at the Royal Albert Hall London, is a good example. Available on the bonus disc to the ´On My Way´ compilation, Paul wanders away from the mic a few times during the chorus whilst singing over the instrumental... Not that I´d care though, the audience recordings I have from the time a all fabulous.

Check DIME for live Composin´, Live in Osaka and Live at Cornell University, all from the era, and worth the D/L :-)

HÃ¥kan
Nov-19-2010, 14:29 GMT

Wasnt´t there talk about an expanded version of Live Rhymin´ some years ago? It was supposed to be released on Rhino Records, but it never happened.

Bodo
Nov-19-2010, 17:35 GMT
Austria

I am really looking forward on these things. DVD of CP91, and maybe a DVD with Live Rhymin... fine. Hopefully all together in 2011.

Matthew
Nov-20-2010, 21:31 GMT
United Kingdom

I am still slightly sceptical about the release of the 1991 Central Park concert on DVD. I really hope it happens because I would Love to have it on DVD (with the missing material like the Chevy Chase appearance and Michael Brecker´s solo).

The issue I have is that this concert is one of many titles bound by a contract whereby Pioneer have the exclusive rights to any release on a digital video version. This was set up to help promote the sales of Laserdisc but the contract affects DVD because that is a digital format.

There are many titles, including about five Madonna concerts, that have never made it to DVD and it also affects the Born At The Right Time documentary. Of all these titles, only one - The Way We Walk Live by Genesis - have ever been released on DVD. The Concert In The Park would be the second.

Warner Bros did not have the rights to issue this concert on DVD and Sony won´t have acquired them when Paul Simon moved his back catalogue to Legacy Recordings. As someone posted recently, Paul Simon himself was not even aware that this concert has never been released on DVD.

The articles posted on the internet are not from official sources and I would like to see a Sony press release that states that they intend to release this title on DVD. It is very easy for a journalist to write "titles due to be re-released include... and The Concert in the Park on DVD" without having researched it properly.

I hope I am wrong - but I am yet to be convinced and would like to read somewhere that Pioneer have given up the digital rights to this title.

Wambaugh
Nov-20-2010, 23:13 GMT
United Kingdom

Matthew, the press release came directly from Legacy/Sony and does indeed mention releasing CP91 on DVD. The journalists were just repeating what the official press release said.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/news/paul-simons-c
omplete-solo-recordings-catalog-comes-sony-music-e
ntertainment

Of course, this doesn´t mean it´s a certainty. I´d assume they´ve done due-diligence already, but who knows. That said, my understanding (from the Wikipedia page for CP91) is that what prevented the release of CP91 was a contract between Warner & Pioneer, not Paul & Pioneer. So maybe it simply doesn´t apply if Paul´s relationship with Warner is over.

Essentially as I understand it, Warner released it on VHS and sold the rights for future digital releases to Pioneer. If Warner lose their rights, I suspect the contract is no longer valid. This is just speculation on my part, though.

Matthew  
Nov-21-2010, 02:57 GMT
United Kingdom

Thanks for the link - that is slightly more promising as it is indeed on the official site.

I am not an expert on the legal aspects of the Pioneer contract but I fail to see how the contract would become invalid because Warner have sold their rights to some other titles to Sony. Pioneer would still own the digital video rights to this and and all the other titles bound by the original contract.

If I sell you my house you don´t now own my neighbour´s car.

Same with this - I would imagine Sony now own the rights to all Paul Simon´s solo albums, all analogue rights to his videos plus the digital rights to the DVDs issued on Warner such as You´re The One, Graceland: The African Concert but not The Concert In The Park or Born At The Right Time.

Sony would also not now own the rights to the other DVDs such as The Paul Simon Special and Everybody Say Yeah!

I do hope I am wrong and that Sony do have the rights to do this or release it on DVD anyway! I´ll be buying my copy quickly before Pioneer act to block its distribution!

Wambaugh
Nov-21-2010, 05:48 GMT
United Kingdom

My logic is that Paul´s material was under license to Warner, they didn´t own it, so I don´t know if they could permanently license something away. It wouldn´t make much sense to ´loan´ somebody your material if they´ll give it away forever. The Concert In The Park was released by Warner on VHS, so they did own the rights, they just gave some of them away. I think they licensed it to Pioneer to release it on Laser Disc and agreed they, Warner, wouldn´t release it on any future formats.

It´s also interesting the press release mentions DVDs not released by Warner (Tower Theatre, Paul Simon & Friends). Maybe Paul has ultimate control of the material? The Tower DVD says under exclusive license to Eagle Rock from Peregrine (a company I assume related to Paul), the same company listed on the Graceland DVD. My CP91 video tape lists Paul Simon as copyright holder, and a company called Eighty-Twenty Inc. I don´t think Warner actually owned any of the performances, they were just allowed to release them.

I think in the same way Paul moved his albums, he retained control of the video. I could be completely wrong, of course, but I do hope CP91 is coming.

Ian
Nov-21-2010, 13:30 GMT

I think Peregrine and Eighty Twenty are somehow tied into Lorne Michaels production companies.

Page: [1] [2] [3]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread