Start a new Thread

Bottom

HeadlineWho was at the NO Jazz?

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

AuthorComment

Brenda
Apr-27-2010, 05:11 GMT
Australia

Thanks Nancy. As you know I saw them last year and voices were great (both of them), also the best at Hall of fame. anyone who thinks a person sounds the same singing at nearly 70 as they did when they were 20 or 30 is losing the plot. That said. they still singer better than most performing out there today. People have paid big money to see them both . not just Paul or Art. there is a valid reason for the tour, to please the huge numbers of people who LOVE them BOTH singing TOGETHER Nancy. have a wonderful time at your shows,

[Like] [Reply] - [Readers: 229 ]

Ans.
Apr-27-2010, 06:37 GMT
Netherlands

They don´t have to sound like in their twenties but they should deliver quality. Otherwise they will loose their magic and credibility. As much as I liked the pleasure they had on stage and Paul´s support, that is not enough for the Tour.

Brenda
Apr-27-2010, 06:57 GMT
Australia

Well ,if Art is still ill they can postpone any venues affected until his voice is back to normal. It is not the first and won´t be the last time it has happened to a performer. It was not an option to postpone at the Jazzfest, which is why I would be imagine he went ahead.Too many would have been disappointed.Instead, according to the reviews , the crowd loved him for showing up. The tickets were for entry to see a lot of acts so I doubt there would have been refunds. It is also not an option to turn their tour into a solo Paul Simon concert for obvious reasons.
It would be lovely to read more comments here actually wishing Artie a speedy recovery. I know there are a few lovely people who do. Go for it Artie !

Bodo
Apr-27-2010, 08:24 GMT
Austria

Joey
:
>Wouldn´t it be great if the show was >2/3 Simon and 2/3 S&G because of >Artie´s voice?

It would be a concert/tour I really like, but on the other hand our math system limits our options ;-)

Bodo
Apr-27-2010, 08:44 GMT
Austria

A statement about general discussions.

Our opinions are free here, everyone can like or dislike what he wants, and is also free to tell it to others. Especially music is something you either like and Love, or it simply means nothing to you, and you even can hate it. So changing ones opinion about music is not possible.

I think that people should be allowed to say negative things too (without swearing, and maybe with a explanation) - that what discussions are made for. It is not interesting to read something where everyone has the same opinion, or even no opinion and just is posting: "Great", "Awfull", "Wow", "Love it"... would you read 40 postings of that?

In generally I also learned that in these days we do not want any conflicts, and you get attacked immediately if you have a different opinion. So people just start to be quiet before they might say anything critical.
Thats some kind of self-census.

Brenda
Apr-27-2010, 10:05 GMT
Australia

Bodo I thought we all were having a discussion. I cannot see any attacks on anyone personally . I agree, say what you like . I do . although this discussion will never change anyone´s opinion , you either Love their music or not.

Brenda
Apr-27-2010, 10:47 GMT
Australia

Just to clarify one of my previous posts today. when I said anyone who thinks one can sound the same singing at nearly 70 as in their20´s or 30´s had lost the plot. I was referring to some people who might have bought tickets to the current tour expecting that and not anyone on this forum. if anyone felt differently my sincere apologies.

Bodo
Apr-27-2010, 15:43 GMT
Austria

Oh, I did not mean to write anything against you Brenda.
I just felt curious about the reaction :everyone here seems to hate art..., as there haven´t been said any hatefull things against him during that discussion.

My opinion was just - even when Art is ill and can not sing well, most fans seem to really ignore it, no even more they seem to say it was wonderfull and everything is fine and say that the journalist/blogger must be crazy. Thats asthonishing.
I for example, would feel mucked if I pay 150$ or more for a Simon solo show and that guys voice is out of order.

Now I get the feeling that S&G have such a iconic state, that everything else becomes irrelevant. I wonder - can Paul and Art - 95 years Old - just sit on a parkbank on stage, a playback of Sounds Of Silence runs, and 10.000 people come to see them? Everyone paying 1000 USD?
Might be possible. :-) (thats just a humoresc sarcastic unrealistic extension. Hopefully)

Barb
Apr-27-2010, 16:34 GMT
USA - United Staates America

Good question Bodo-after all people go to see the Pope (although I guess he does give a blessing in return) and people line up along political people routes (such as a president or presidential candidate) just to say they waved at the car/train/whatever. Maybe it is a being a part of history?
Maybe I am trying to recreate a past. I was much too busy and too poor to go to concerts, other than central park in my younger days. And, no, I went to Beach Boys, not S&G (and do not think I saw the stage much!). I think at this point, I am tired of sitting where I need binoculars to see the performers and I can afford the prices now. And I have been to solo shows of both Art & Paul and I miss the S&G sound. When I heard them at Beacon, it was more of a ghost of the sound, so if I wanted to listen to the original S&G I would put on a record or cd. But I think it is iconic or nostalgia in a large part. The music and the people are my younger days. And I also say how much longer am I to be here or even them. As for them being 95 on the park bench, how many of the S&G generation will be alive to see them sitting there!!! Will the younger people treat them as icons or nostalgia? And while I type here, people do buy guitars and setlists etc of singers and actors and famous people, so you might have hit on a selling idea for twenty years from now! Wandering off any point, I also find myself listening to Wings songs and thinking Paul, Beatles so it is hard to separate the original group from its spin off members.

Mimi
Apr-27-2010, 16:42 GMT
Austria

This is the Homepage of one of the Lightning people that work for S&G. Looks like the tour will not start this week.

http://rllight.blogspot.com/

Lara
Apr-27-2010, 17:59 GMT
Italy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPzFtatH1qM&NR=

This video seems to be survived on youtube. Hazy shade of winter.

Rosie
Apr-27-2010, 19:49 GMT
Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOU3_boc7Oo nice to see Diamonds is back to its original version. Is that Andy Snitzer playing?

Joey
Apr-27-2010, 21:31 GMT
Canada

Mimi,

It doesn´t say anything about the tour being delayed on that site - am I missing something?

Joey
Apr-27-2010, 21:34 GMT
Canada

Wait, now I can´t get the blog to load, and there´s an entry in the RSS feed saying "Tour pushed back until further notice...... More to come..."

Nothing elsewhere on the Web...

massecb  
Apr-28-2010, 00:44 GMT
USA - United Staates America

I went to the NO Jazz Fest. Obviously, if you are a big S&G/Simon fan, you have to understand that Garfunkel´s voice is not going to be of the same quality that it was fifty years ago. The people around me seemed to agree that while his voice was not strong, his expertise and training was obvious. At some points, their harmony was pitchy, possibly due to the sore voice, but I believe that a majority of people who came solely to see their act, came with the knowledge that they wouldn´t be hearing the same quality of singing as when they were young men, but instead came with a desire to see two men who changed music history. During one song, Simon forgot the lyrics and sang something along the line of "Guess I forgot the lyrics" and then picks back up on the next line. My favorite part of their performance was that due to Simon´s diversity of styles and length of career, it was literally like experiencing approximately 20 years worth of music (from Wednesday Morning, 3 AM to Graceland Albumn) and several different influences (Jazz, African, Folk, Rock, Gospel, etc...) within about 2 hours. It was like watching the history of music unfold before my eyes.

The highlight of the show was obviously "BOTW," as most people, S&G fans or not, were more than familiar with the song. Garfunkel strained through it, which was so bittersweet to me because I hear recordings of the purity of his voice, and know that he´s long past his prime, but also just knowing how amazing it was is comforting. Having never seen them in concert, this performance was the highlight of my life. I suggest that every S&G/Simon fan make an EXTREME effort to see them in concert. Even though their voices and music may not be of the quality that it used to be, their showmanship is really unbelievable. I listen to Old recordings of S&G/Simon everyday, and thought that I might be disappointed. In fact, it was the opposite. I was even more impressed by how authentic and real they are.

Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Forum Mainpage

Start a new Thread